Associate Scientific Director, Global Medical Affairs, Oncology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Scientific Director, is responsible for the Global Medical Affairs strategy and act as the source of scientific/medical leadership for Abbvie Oncology pipeline assets. The role provides medical affairs support for pipeline assets (pre-clinical through to end early stage clinical trials. It includes medical planning, disease area strategy input, evidence data generation, data analysis and interpretation, publications, medical communication, and medical training responsibilities.
- With oversight, contributes to the development of early brand strategies.
- Contributes to the development of and leads the execution of the Medical Education / Advisory Board & EE Engagement Plan generation. Lead the individual Global Conference planning and execution.
- Generates clinical and scientific data (DOF) as needed to support external communication (RRTI).
- Responsible to manage budget for assigned projects.
- May support teams with subject matter expertise.
- Aligns Medical education and scientific initiatives with Sci Comm Platform. Informs Investigator Initiated Study (IIS) strategy and can act as Docent for IISs.
- Actively contributes to the development of a TA EE Engagement Plan.
- Participation in design and execution of clinical trial safety, product safety and risk management plans. Track RMP implementation.
- Advanced Degree PhD, PharmD, PA, NP highly preferred. Residency or additional post doctorate experience highly preferred.
- Experience with Oncology, business development, medical affairs
- Typically 8 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area required.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in the design of protocols preferred.
- May have performed protocol design in the academic environment and/or acted as an assistant PI.
- Interactions normally require the ability to gain cooperation of others, conduct presentations of technical information concerning specific projects and schedules, etc.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- May interact with and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc.) as they relate to on-going medical affairs projects.
- May assist as consultant and liaison with other corporations when working under licensing agreements and/or in the evaluation of new business development opportunities.
- Represents AbbVie at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- Works with some supervision and guidance. Exercises judgment within well-defined practices and policies.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.