Principal Scientist, Preclinical Bioassay Development
Adverum is seeking a talented, science motivated, goal driven self-starter to join a collaborative effort to enable the development and execution of bioanalytical assays that support early nonclinical work. In this role, you will provide scientific leadership and act as the subject matter expert for the Preclinical Assay Research Team. You will be expected to build a laboratory infrastructure and a team of scientists and/or research associates that will be responsible for developing bioassays and conducting research in specific projects across all early development programs from conception to execution with little guidance.
You will work closely with members of other teams to develop new bioassays and/or improve the performance of existing ones. You will be responsible for developing, mentoring, and managing a team of research associates and/or scientists. You will use your scientific acumen and leadership in a highly collaborative and supportive culture in the blooming gene therapy field.
What you'll do:
- Lead the development of new bioassays that support nonclinical development of gene therapy products.
- Act as subject matter expert and maintains a deep knowledge of bioassays that support development of biological therapeutics aligned with our mission.
- Coordinate, and monitor the execution of projects, including the work of laboratory research associates and scientists, proactively and independently coordinating with other groups to successfully achieve goals.
- Developing plans, timelines, bioanalytical study reports and presenting data within the department and to stakeholders across the company.
- Ensuring the accurate recording of all experimental data and maintaining the highest integrity in our research and development.
- Lead experimental design, data analysis, planning and execution of experiments to achieve goals.
- Develop, mentor, and manage research associates and/or scientists.
- Advanced Degree (Ph.D.) in a relevant discipline (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology etc.) required.
- 5 or more years of post-graduate hands-on wet-lab and experimental design experience in the areas of assay development in the field of molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or cell biology. This is a supervisory role however the candidate is expected to have significant previous wet lab experience and be able to provide troubleshooting support to their team.
- 2+ years of industry and/or academic lab management experience.
- Desired: Deep hands-on knowledge of molecular biology assays with an emphasis in nucleic acid extraction, qPCR, RT-qPCR, primer design and troubleshooting and/or extensive experience in development of immune/cell-based assays.
- Delivered first-author publications and/or patents and/or conference presentations in academic and/or industry settings.
- Expert in experimental design and a critical thinker with the ability to quickly acquire and adopt novel technologies in the field of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry and/or related fields.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Adverum is a clinical-stage gene therapy company targeting unmet medical needs in ophthalmology and rare diseases. Adverum develops gene therapy product candidates designed to provide durable efficacy by inducing sustained expression of a therapeutic protein. Adverum’s core capabilities include clinical development, novel vector discovery and in-house manufacturing expertise, specifically in scalable process development, assay development, and current Good Manufacturing Practices quality control.
At Adverum, Inclusion and Diversity are at our core. We believe in the power of being your authentic self. We strive to create the space which allows for everyone in our Adverum Community to not only feel safe but encouraged to speak, learn from each other, grow in their professions and be the very best versions of themselves no matter what their age, ethnic background, gender, origin, religion or sexual orientation