Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow -Early development analytical immunogenicity screening – ARD -
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences and BioPharma. The enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. Technical expert that will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to address critical project needs. Continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes. Read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate mastery of broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S., while providing a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. The assignment is expected to be two years minimally and up to three years.
Background of Research and Early Development group:
Research and Early Development (RED) is part of the Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) organization. RED is protein characterization group focused on mass spectrometry (MS) and analytical innovation. RED works globally with AbbVie’s Discovery and Development Sciences teams to support the biologics screening funnel from lead optimization to candidate selection.
AbbVie Analytical Research & Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make substantial contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines! Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
Improve immunogenicity understanding and establishing a novel mass spectrometry analytical toolbox for immunogenicity screening of the many flavors of biologics we put through our screening funnel.
The desired outcome of this work will be multiple external scientific publications and external presentations at scientific conferences. Some information may also contribute to internal publications and reports for knowledge sharing purposes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Rank the biologic candidates via an immunogenicity score calculated by monitoring cellular and humoral immune responses.
- Understanding MHC-class II peptides better by mass spec – to advance immunogenicity understanding.
- Augment and add a novel side to the multi-faceted Tier Screening data package, as it will complement the chemical, colloidal and conformational stability data towards a better cumulative decision-making risk assessment in support of the lead candidate selection.
- Support improvement to current cell based predictive immunogenicity assays via close collaborations with the PCS, DMPK-BA and ARD Bioassay development teams.
- Compilation of results in reports, presentations, and scientific publications.
- Search, study, and compile scientific and patent literature.
- Strong interaction and interdisciplinary work with colleagues and interfaces
Your Basic Qualifications:
- You hold a PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, engineering, or related field on protein analysis with mass spectrometry preferred.
- During your scientific career you have built strong expertise and hands-on-experience in the characterization of proteins by mass spectrometry. Prior focus on in-silico tools for immunogenicity assessment, in-vitro post-hoc evaluation of immunogenicity, MHC-class II peptides detection.
- Experience in analytical methodology, such as chromatography, UV and compendial methods and bioanalytical techniques preferred (WCX, HIC, SEC, CGE, icIEF, particle imaging, ELISA, and LC-MS).
- You have some experienced in setting up automated procedures with laboratory robots.
- You have basic programming skills (e.g. Python) and an affinity for data management.
- As a highly motivated, self-driven and results-oriented person with excellent communication and presentation skills you are driven by innovative ways of thinking to improve processes, methods, systems, products or services.
- You are well known to be an excellent team player with the ability to build strong networks with peers who has a strong desire for the application of new techniques and innovative solutions.
- As a global acting company, we presume excellent communication skills, including excellent written and oral English.
- Must have work authorization in the United States
- Provide three letters of recommendation (Thesis Advisor)
- Provide letter of intent to pursue a Postdoc
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills including critical and analytical thinking.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.