Director, Development Communication and Change Management
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, EPMO/Dev Communication and Change Management is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of change management initiatives across the Development (Dev) organization and building appropriate change management strategies/plans aimed at transforming the way we work across AbbVie Development. Serves as an internal subject matter expert on change management methodology and practices. The Director understands the purpose of Dev functions and uses that understating to provide organizational change leadership. The Director possesses strategic and Dev competencies which are demonstrated by substantial organizational influence across AbbVie at all levels. Manages various personnel to include exempt, non-exempt and third-party resources.
• Lead and manage a portfolio of high-impact, complex, enterprise change management initiatives by assisting and creating change management strategies and plans to drive faster adoption, higher utilization of and proficiency of the changes that impact employees ultimately increasing benefit realization.
• Create and manage measurement system to track adoption, utilization, and proficiency of the portfolio of individual changes and provide timely updates to Senior Leadership, identify and address resistance and performance gaps to develop and implement corrective actions.
• Stays abreast of changes across the organization identifying any potential direct/indirect impact on the strategy and or execution of change management plans and adjusts accordingly.
• Serves as an internal subject matter expert on change management practices/frameworks. Assists other business leaders driving change within function in developing a change management strategy based on a situational awareness of the details of change and the groups impacted, identifying potential people-side risks and anticipated points of resistance to develop plans to mitigate and address concerns.
• Leads broad-based and multi-channel communication strategies and plans. Develops and reviews communication content in support of key program activities. Prepares and writes diverse communication messages (print, video, portal, presentations) for organization recognizing political (internal and external) implications of communications. Demonstrates expertise in developing organization communications and success measurements.
• Maintains a strong working knowledge of the evolution, business operations, products and services of Dev organization to effectively communicate, interact and influence key internal stakeholder groups on behalf of Development.
• Plans and manages effective implementation of business and organizational change projects. Leads aspects of communications and change management strategies and activities through the identification of current and unmet needs. This includes program design, alignment, coordination, implementation and evaluation for change management and related communications initiatives.
• Provides Executive Communications Support to VP, Dev and members of Development Leadership Team and their staff as needed to support change management initiatives. This may include: Executive presentations: slides and talking points for all meetings. Videos: script/talking point creation, production,
• Develops Dev organization identity to ensure key stakeholders and customers comprehend the strategy and service offerings from Development. Partners with HR, Public Affairs, and others to enhance Development Culture through management of Culture drivers, activities and other communication venues (i.e. All Staff Meetings). Provides oversight and mentoring to Development team members developing key process changes to build continuous improvement culture in Development organization..
• Effectively frames complex issues for decision-makers and peers. Prepares and delivers effective management presentations to AbbVie Leadership. Draws upon personal knowledge of business processes, global regulations, organizational improvement methods, and communication mechanisms to propose and design innovative organizational improvements.
Degree in Public Relations, Integrated Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or equivalent
Prosci Change Management Certificate or similar preferred
Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred
10+ years of related experience
Proven 3+ year in a leadership role with strong management skills
2 years managing people
Strong communication skills, both orally and written
Strong business acumen and negotiating skills
Experience working in a complex and matrix environment
Demonstrated ability to lead multi-divisional and multi-functional teams with global aspects
6 years in pharmaceutical, healthcare or regulated industry
10+ years developing and executing change management strategies or successful project planning and management of highly complex business and technology initiatives
Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical regulations, e.g., FDA and EMA and their impact to organization processes and technology tools
Experience serving as a business management consultant
Experience developing sub-function level business strategies
Experience analyzing complex business problems and facilitating the design of innovative solutions
Ability to craft compelling business cases and sell new ideas
Experience in managing functional budgets and developing budget forecasts
Note: Higher education may compensate for years of experience
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.