Associate Scientist II, Protein Sciences
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Seeking a highly-motivated and experienced research scientist to join our Protein Sciences group at our corporate headquarters located in the Chicago area. The candidate will be working in a highly dynamic group to provide upstream process support for a variety of small molecule programs across different therapeutic areas in discovery. The candidate should have extensive protein expression experience and be proficient in all standard bioprocess and aseptic technique. Hands-on experience in small scale protein purification and characterization is also highly desirable. Experience with isotopic labeling for NMR studies is a plus.
- Develops and executes cell culture process in shake flasks and bench-scale bioreactors. Authoring associated technical reports and documents.
- Ensures that experiments are planned and coordinated cross-functionally, as well as executed effectively. Handle issues with a sense of urgency when required.
- Continuously drive for improved process performance. Provides scientific insight to overcome issues (i.e., solubility, purity, heterogeneity, yield).
- Explore and evaluate novel technologies to advance the fermentation platform.
- Work independently with team spirit. Accountable for technical performance and results of the team.
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or other relevant biological sciences with 0+ (MS) or 2+ (BS) years of relevant academic and/or industry experience.
- Extensive experience in protein expression using E.coli., baculoviruses, and mammalian systems in support of assay development, biophysical studies, and structural studies.
- Ability to perform small scale protein purification and characterization experiments (SDS-PAGE, western blot, HPLC, thermal shift assay).
- Good problem-solving skills. Capable of finding the root cause of problems and solve them with innovative ways.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build open and collaborative relationships in a multidisciplinary environment are essential.
- Good record keeping and able to efficiently manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.