Director, Muscle Biology
Avidity Biosciences is pioneering a new class of oligonucleotide-based therapies called AOCs designed to overcome the current limitations of oligonucleotide therapies in order to treat a wide range of serious diseases. We utilize our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies in order to access previously undruggable tissue and cell types and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. We are passionate about the impact of every employee in bringing these potentially transformative therapeutics to patients in need. Make a difference with us.Position Overview
We are looking for an innovative, enthusiastic, and dedicated Director to join our team and lead the generation of pioneering muscle disease therapies. The Director of Biology would provide leadership in Biology and support Avidity’s research and IND goals by working cross functionally internally and externally with CROs. By working closely with various function teams and the senior management, the successful candidate will play an instrumental role in establishing company’s overall strategy in discovery and translational research and leading the execution of future strategic initiatives, as well as managing relationships with external providers, vendors, and strategic partners.Responsibilities
- Provide leadership in areas of biology that support the company’s research, IND and clinical goals.
- Responsible for driving late-stage research into IND-enabling studies
- Responsible for guiding new discovery programs in related therapeutic areas to further bolster company’s R&D pipeline
- Work closely with the CTO and CSO to manage day-to-day research efforts across the organization and with CROs, academics and corporate collaborators. This includes developing project plans for current or new areas as well as communication of plans and data to internal and external parties.
- Lead and build a world-class research team of scientists to validate new therapeutic targets and approaches for muscle disease
- Support R&D efforts as programs advance and serve as liaison for regulatory/clinical discussions, as appropriate.
- Support additional company process needs such as budgetary tracking and company visibility needs.
- Be able to work in a dynamic, science-driven environment
- Ideally have a PhD in the biological sciences with 5+ years in muscle biology/muscle disease and research management experience working in a drug discovery setting
- Biotech or biopharma industry preferred. An MSc with commensurate additional experience will be considered.
- Strong experience working in discovery setting with a firm grasp of typical timelines and resources required for each phase of the process
- Strategic thinking and prioritization among preclinical, and clinical phase research projects, to provide timely and relevant nonclinical research support for Avidity’s projects, including budgeting and hiring, for needed work in support of corporate goals.
- Be able to demonstrate a history of achievement marked by high attention to detail, scientific creativity and excellent organization skills that include a record of successful project management for early stage programs in a start-up environment.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a history of productive interactions with academic scientists and external collaborators.
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to work independently and collaboratively, while effectively managing tasks and priorities to meet schedules and project deadlines.
- Anticipate next steps, takes initiative, and is responsive to requests while consistently following through.
- Have excellent computer skills including Microsoft Products proficiency (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and the ability to use discovery data systems.