Manager: Scientist III
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
The successful candidate will work as a Scientist in our Cell Therapy Group and report to the Scientist III, Cell Therapy. They will contribute to the creation and advancement of cell-based therapies (eg. CAR-Treg therapy) for applications in relevant diseases. The role will consist of designing novel approaches, organizing, and analyzing data, troubleshooting assays, and participating in group and departmental meetings. Sangamo Therapeutics’ differentiating approach to cell therapy includes development of ZFN mediated engineered cells toward next generation cell therapy products. The position requires adaptability, creativity, good written and verbal communication skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is exciting and fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of genome editing and cell-based therapy research.
- Create and develop innovative solutions for the development of cell-based therapy products for indications of interest to Sangamo Therapeutics
- Independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments to answer scientific questions.
- Perform, analyze, and document laboratory procedures with exceptional attention to detail
- Work cross-functionally with other research teams and with other departments to drive programs forward into development
- May initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program
- Present results internally to R&D and executive leadership teams and externally at scientific conferences
- Publish results in leading scientific journals and contribute to related patent filings
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Ph.D. in cellular biology, immunology or a relevant field
- A strong background in immunology is preferred
- 2+ years of relevant industry or post-doctoral experience. Level will be determined by experience, skills, and ability
- Experience characterizing the impact of gene engineering on the phenotype and function of cells using in vitro assays and molecular characterization (eg. Multi-color flow cytometry, activation assays, suppression assays, ELISA, Luminex, reporter assays etc…)
- Understanding of biology supporting adoptive cellular therapy as a therapeutic modality
- Experience and skills with human immune and hematopoietic cells processing, cellular immunology and functional assays
- Aseptic cell culture expertise is a must
- Experience with CAR-T or CAR-Treg cells is a plus
- Experience with lentiviral, AAV or electroporation of primary cells
- Experience in molecular biology including cloning, quantitative PCR, and next generation sequencing methods
- Hands-on experience in genome engineering is a plus
- Experience in drug development from product inception to IND is a plus
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.