Senior Scientist, Neuroscience Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in San Diego, is located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad. Ionis was founded in 1989 and was purposely designed to create a better, more efficient drug discovery platform, establish a new innovation-centered business model, and maximize the value of every medicine created and get it to the people who need it most as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
With the RNA molecule as the basis of our novel drug discovery platform, we are targeting an unprecedented range of therapeutic areas. Our antisense therapies are disrupting diseases and changing their course—from the rarest of conditions, to those that impact millions of people. We currently have three commercial products and more than 40 potentially transformative medicines in our pipeline designed to treat a broad range of diseases.
We are seeking a highly qualified individual with relevant experience for a position in our neuroscience drug discovery group who shares the passion of our core principles and culture. Our neuroscience group is working to apply Ionis’ technology to diseases of the central nervous system. We currently have active projects in many neurodegenerative diseases with high unmet medical need. The candidate will become an integral part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists in the Ionis neuroscience group.
SENIOR SCIENTIST, NEUROSCIENCE DRUG DISCOVERY
- Initiating and executing neuroscience drug discovery projects at all stages, including new target identification, preclinical target validation, and drug lead identification for clinical development, with a focus on glial biology and targets.
- Developing and implementing new assays, including imaging-based assays.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience or a closely related discipline
- > 2 years of postdoctoral or professional experience in an academic or industry research setting, with a proven track record of accomplishments, including publications in top tier scientific journals.
- Research experience in glial biology
- Experience and expertise in modern laboratory techniques, e.g. gene expression analysis using qRT-PCR and RNA sequencing. Specific experience in fluorescence microscopy and image analysis are especially desirable.
- Direct experience in animal models brain injury or neurodegenerative disease, including neuropathological analyses.
- Experience with small animal surgeries
- Have strong interpersonal skills including a proven track record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with teams and partners
- Have the ability to manage multiple assignments effectively in a quickly evolving environment
- Outstanding communication and team skills
- Self-starter who is highly motivated and not afraid to take risks
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Reference Requisition #IONIS02421
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE – PRINCIPALS ONLY
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.