Scientist, Molecular Virology
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for a Scientist (Molecular Virology) to join our growing South San Francisco team!
* Please note that we cannot sponsor Visas at this time.
- Designing and constructing new vaccine candidates and developing novel approaches to induce protective immunity.
- Develop novel vaccine candidates, design relevant experiments, explore new techniques for viral sequencing and characterization.
- Research improvements in antigen design.
- Write scientific papers and reports, and coordinate with outside collaborations with academic groups.
- Responsible for finding, evaluate, and implement cutting edge technologies for improving vaccine pandemic responses.
- PhD in Microbiology or a related discipline, ideally with a focus in virology.
- 2 + years of industry experience in vaccines or cancer, infectious disease research a plus.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as part of a team within R&D and across the organization.
- Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional presentation and leadership skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite (Excel, Word, Outlook), Prism, and sequence analysis software
- Expertise in virology, high throughput sequencing techniques (e.g. NGS or PacBio), molecular biology, and tissue culture techniques.
- Experience writing research papers, technical reports and developing strategic plans.
- Must have experience in contributing to deep molecular biology expertise and manage multiple projects at once.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, stock options, 401(k) with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.