Senior Associate, SEC Reporting, Technical Accounting
Description of Duties:
The Senior Associate, SEC Reporting, Technical Accounting and Compliance is responsible for working as a team with the Associate Director, SEC Reporting & SOX Compliance to complete all SEC financial reporting activities, technical accounting analysis and SOX controls. This individual will frequently interact with accounting staff, IT, legal, and other stakeholders across the organization as well as external SOX consultants and external auditors. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, ability to work independently, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company. This position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to leverage a background in external reporting, technical accounting and Sox compliance with the intensity and dynamics of a rapidly growing biotechnology company.
- Assist in the preparation of Company’s SEC filings, including 10-Qs and 10-Ks, and ensuring appropriate XBRL tagging of related content in Workiva.
- Gather supporting data, tie outs and analysis in preparing information for review.
- Maintain reporting calendar to inform parties of necessary deadlines for the 10-Q/K and SOX compliance.
- Ensure financial statements are presented in accordance with GAAP guidelines.
- Help to proactively identify proper accounting & disclosure and assist in performing related research and documentation of such issues in accounting whitepapers; propose suitable disclosures and benchmark against industry standards.
- Work closely with external auditors, business owners and senior management to ensure communication of critical issues in a timely manner.
- Help to ensure compliance throughout the company with internal controls over financial reporting, including partnering with SOX consultants and external auditors. Assist in documentation of SOX Risk Assessment, Risk Matrix, Process Documents, Testing Protocol, and Review Testing.
- Assist in the management of the company’s equity programs.
- Participate in special projects and perform additional duties as required.
Education and Professional Qualifications:
- Familiarity with issues involved in SEC reporting, technical accounting, and SOX.
- Willing to be very “hands-on” in getting work done in a dynamic workplace.
- CPA preferred, with a BS or Master’s in Accounting/Business Administration
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience for a public accounting firm and/or work with a public company.
- Experience in the preparation of SEC financial filings for a public company, including use of an SEC filing platform, such as Workiva.
- Experience in using Equity Edge for stock options and awards a plus.
- Exceptional teamwork capabilities.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong personal drive for excellence and highly self-motivated
- Well-developed problem-solving skills combined with experience working with outside consultants in a positive and collaborative fashion.
- Possesses a sense of urgency; identifies challenges and problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.