Director, Business Development
Certara is hiring a Director, Business Development to support our Regulatory Commercial Services! This position can be based out of any US Certara office or full time remote.
At Certara, we accelerate medicines to patients by partnering with life science innovators.
In the past 6 years, over 90% of companies that received new drug approvals by the FDA used our software or services. Our integrated and proprietary end-to-end platform with biosimulation, regulatory science, and market access solutions combined with our strong team of scientists and subject matter experts enable our clients to have:
- informed decision-making & reduced clinical trial burden
- higher R&D productivity
- improved patient outcomes & increased patient access to medicines
- accelerated regulatory approval
Certara is a global team that fosters and nurtures a diverse and inclusive culture. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The collective sum of our individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and unique capabilities and talent represents a significant part of our culture, our reputation and our achievement.
Together with our partners, we use biosimulation and technology-enabled services to transform drug discovery and development across all therapeutic areas and innovative therapies.
About the Synchrogenix division:
As the largest consultancy of regulatory and medical writers in the industry, Synchrogenix, a Certara company, is a well-recognized, multi-disciplined provider of regulatory writing, strategy, operations, and medical communications services. The Synchrogenix business unit also comprises our Evidence-Value-Access (EvA) suite of solutions for firms pursuing optimal commercial market access, product positioning, pricing optimization, and post-approval commercial expansion via real world evidence and data. These commercial access solutions enable pre-, peri, and post-approval drug/vaccine solutions, improving their product positioning and maximizing returns.
We seek a Director, Business Development professional for our Commercial Access service business. The individual will focus on driving a portion of the business development efforts, as a direct BD contributor. Key responsibilities will include delivering sales results for the EvA business selling the full range of commercial science (CS) consulting services, working closely with the existing EvA BD team and appropriate EvA service line leaders/SMEs as appropriate. Since we offer strategic CS solutions, it is imperative that this BD director work with our key subject matter experts. This individual will be responsible for personally leading key accounts, and prospecting for, landing and developing prospective accounts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be the primary BD lead for all assigned key accounts, and opportunistic or smaller non-key accounts. This includes utilizing market knowledge and industry contacts to grow the EvA business in line with agreed commercial goals.
- The role covers both existing clients and new. It comprises pursuing new client opportunities, identifying new contacts and accounts, and growing the range of business in existing accounts.
- Establish multiple-level contacts within assigned accounts by presenting to, consulting with, and cultivating relationships at all buying levels within assigned accounts.
- Qualify companies and contacts to understand the customer’s key needs/challenges through identification, discovery, planning and account/customer qualifications.
- For special projects, take responsibility for leading specific account growth initiatives on behalf of the BD group as a whole to facilitate the success of the team.
- Other typical duties entail:
- Create, enhance, and maintain Trust in all account relationships. Trust is improved by advancing client relationships (intimacy), achieving solid credibility, and working the clients to mitigate risk at the project, program, and portfolio level.
- Regularly convert follow-up leads into sales through professional key account management and the skillful application of sales tools and techniques.
- Ensure priority account plans are developed, executed and maintained in conjunction with annual account planning processes as well as the specific business needs
- Starting from approved SGX capabilities and related marketing materials develop client specific presentations and contribute to the RFP response and proposal process, developing appropriate win strategies based on your knowledge of the client.
- Provide clear direction, and actively communicate with the CS sales team and other stakeholders and identify market trends to help formulate lead-generation plans that will lead to new revenue generation opportunities.
- Work cooperatively across the global CS practice groups to provide business development expertise and facilitate scientific and operational expert involvement as required ensuring that company's revenue and profitability goals are achieved. This position does involve team selling and collaborating on specific business unit priorities.
- Participate in professional trade shows and clinical conferences, or the equivalent, (or as practically possible), setting up client meetings, exhibit coverage and lead generation.
- Work with the respective Proposals and Contracts (Commercial Operations) groups to contribute to the implementation of Master Service Agreements (MSAs), negotiate preferred provider agreements and volume pricing, and provide project-level contracting and business development support.
- Document communication/discussions and all opportunity details in SalesForce.com to ensure a tracked record of existing correspondence and/or future next steps required.
- Gather market intelligence as input to product management and product marketing to improve offerings and communication for local market needs.
Education, Experience, Training, and Knowledge:
- Understanding of the market access, commercial sciences space within biopharmaceutical organizations and their budget drivers is required.
- Master’s degree in the life or health sciences, health economics, or an advanced business degree is preferred. BA/BS minimum.
- Demonstrated experience of managing client relationships, preferably Tier 1 and 2 biopharma
- Working collaboratively with the EvA team, to execute against and achieve quota on a consistent basis, and to build/maintain/replenish a vigorous pipeline of realistic opportunities
- Proven track-record of high level of sales performance in a competitive, dynamic marketplace.
- Consistent success in account development.
- Working knowledge of SalesForce.com and other sales/marketing software tools for managing a sales team against target metrics.
Certara bases all employment-related decision on merit, taking into consideration qualifications, skills, achievement, and performance. We treat all applicants and employees without regard to personal characteristics such as race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, nationality, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental condition, genetic information, military service, or other characteristic protected by law.