Director, Process Safety & Design
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
At AbbVie, our strength lies in our team of experts who conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. In choosing your career & life path, choose to be extraordinary!
We are currently recruiting a Director, Process Safety and Design to work as a key part of AbbVie’s Global Engineering team. In this role, you will review all safety aspects of AbbVie’s Manufacturing plants globally and ensure they meet all necessary safety standards. Working with the Regional Vice Presidents and Site Directors, you will lead deep dive reviews of Plant Safety set up, review the HazAps and PCIs ,challenge the status quo and recommendations to ensure that all potential failure modes have been assessed, addressed and recommendations implemented.
The purpose of this role is to ensure we are achieving and exceeding best in class from a process safety perspective thereby ensuring our manufacturing teams can excel at our sites.
As Director, Process Safety and Design, you will engage and collaborate with AbbVie’s site Leadership team and EHS personnel, as well as other internal or external teams as appropriate, developing or validating Safety risk Assessment reports, reducing or eliminating potential failure modes and determining need for additional actions to mitigate Safety and Environmental impact and ensuring they are implemented.
You and your direct team will be the lead for all safety reviews during new project design, at all stages of the project, including start up.This extremely important role will have regular communication with and presentation to the VP MES and EVP Operations. You will have a solid technical and scientific background, preferably in Chemical Engineering and/or pharmaceutical plant experience. Partnering and influencing with senior leader is a key leadership attribute for the role.
• As a trusted Director you will provide the Regional VP’s and Manufacturing Leadership with regular reports on the Process Safety status of the sites and current PSM related issues.
• Successfully engaging globally across all manufacturing sites, you will collaborate with site leadership to create defined timelines for the implementation of safety updates. You will have joint responsibility with Site Directors to ensure that all timelines are achieved.
• With your team you will be accountable to drive the Global Network Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), capital project reviews PSM training and other projects assigned.
• Design, develop, implement and monitor the PSM Roadmap for the global network with an overarching focus to drive standardized processes, reduce risk, eliminate failure modes and ensure global compliance.
• Leveraging your background in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field, combined with your experience to successfully implement Process Safety Management program across the network and provide support for all sites on PSM issues.
• Drive continuous improvement culture across the network. Be a visible leader for AbbVie’s ZBA philosophy.
• Collaborating globally to maintain strong knowledge of PSM global manufacturing safety concepts and standards
• Maintain currency of best industrial practices, Best Available Techniques (BAT), and trends. Share this knowledge with peers, and management.
• Lead all safety reviews, during design and start up for all new projects across the global network. Provide input for Requests for Capital Expenditure (RCE) to ensure that significant Safety and environmental aspects for assigned key technical programs are properly integrated during the entire Front-End Planning Design Process for new product introduction, Product-transfer from site to site, site to Third Party Manufacturing (TPM), TPM to site and changes/upgrades to existing processes and equipment.
• Fully Lead the Hazard Screening for Tech transfer and NPI
• Conduct on site audits, to ensure that all sites comply with applicable Safety requirements and corporate policies, utilize best-industrial practices and best available techniques (BAT) to identify and manage risk, and conform to company directives and standards
• Identify and collect site metrics, develop site dashboard for key program, monitors improvement of assigned processes
• Safety reviews for all capital projects through FEP1.2 and 3 and start up.
• Work globally to lead the Safety programs for Technical Transfers (TT) and New Product Introduction (NPI)
• Methodically audit all site safety programs, review all HazAns and PCIs and make recommendations on change where required to ensure best practice and utmost safety is implemented globally
• Degree / Masters / PhD in Chemical Engineering, or other science related or technical field preferably in Life sciences, pharmacy or engineering
• 10+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and/or chemical industries in manufacturing/R&D environments
• Demonstrated experience in a technical Safety discipline such as Potent Compounds/Occupational Hygiene (OH), chemical safety and GHS and process safety
• Deep knowledge of Chemical Safety and GHS classification
• Working experience as EHS Manager or Manufacturing Lead in a chemical or pharmaceutical setting is preferred.
• Record of leading HazAns and / or PCIs at an API and Drug Product Plant
• Positive track record of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with internal, external clients and customers.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with peers, and customers, is required.
• Strong problem-solving skills,
• Comfortable dealing with diverse perspectives and goals, bringing clear direction and guidance in area of focus.
• Strong mindset to drive improvement, make difficult decisions and be laser focused on execution
• Ability to develop and achieve aggressive but achievable timelines on all global programs
• Demonstrated experience in delivering key messaging to Senior Management across multiple mediums
• Technical expertise in implementing EHS programs and/or plant level experience.
• Technical expertise in pharmaceutical or FDA-regulated industry.
• Ability to influence, motivate and empathize with peers, supervisors, middle management and vendors to meet the business EHS goals.
• Personal skills to facilitate the work in cross functional team environment
• Sound judgement and problem-solving skills, communication skills including English, excellent interpersonal and consulting skills, good organizational and computer skills, and positive customer orientation.
• Self-starter with ability to complete work independently as well as successfully lead others if needed.
• Works well with other technical staff in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment
• Up to 40%
• The global nature of the job requires interaction with technical staff from various sites and at times frequent traveling to support the projects.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.