Executive Director, Head of Precision Medicine Immunology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Executive Director, Head of Precision Medicine Immunology
Precision Medicine is accountable for the development of translational, clinical biomarker and companion diagnostic strategies across all phases of development and therapeutic areas. The Abbvie Immunology portfolio is among the largest, most innovative in the industry with unapparelled success. We are seeking a talented, driven and experienced senior leader to build and lead Abbvie’s Precision Medicine Immunology team. In this capacity, the incumbent and her/his team with be accountable for successful development of PD, mechanistic and patient selection markers that inform clinical development decision making, identify opportunities for accelerated development and approval of pipeline molecules and, critically, to help guide Abbvie’s portfolio into new opportunities, novel diseases and combinations. This position will be expected to exert this leadership from discovery stage molecules, through all phases and development and to inform future opportunities for our immunology products. This is an unapparelled opportunity to play a highly visible and strategically important role in the Immunology space in a leading company.
- Responsible for leading a group of translational and clinical biomarker scientists accountable for the development of Precision Medicine strategies.
- Develops and leverages translational research insights early in Discovery to inform a robust and impactful biomarker strategy for clinical studies. These approaches should be strategic and compelling, evidenced by impact on clinical strategy and study design to demonstrate both Proof of Concept and approval of pipeline assets.
- Demonstrates pharmacodynamic effects through analysis of proximal and distal target and mechanistic markers; Identification of patient populations through analysis of genetic and mechanistic markers in human disease molecular databases from internal clinical trials and external databases and collaborations.
- Develops of a fit-for-purpose diagnostic strategy to enable patient selection for development and clinical practice as appropriate.
- Collaborates with discovery to identify indications based upon molecular and phenotypic data and preclinical models.
- Influences design of clincal development strategy and associated clinical trials to determine Proof of Mechanism and patient targeted enrollment and registration.
- The incumbent will be accountable for oversight of a portfolio of Precision Medicine Immunology programs to ensure that they are aligned with the overarching goals and objectives of the Immunology Therapeutic Area Steering Committee, Immunology Development Therapeutic Area Leadership and Immunology Discovery Leadership. In this capacity the Leader will be expected to exert influence on the overall Therapeutic Area Strategy through a leadership role on the Immunology TASC, as well as leadership teams in Immunology Discovery and Development
- Will be expected to play a key role in developing a coordinated approach to Abbvie’s external research programs through relationships with External academicians, industry, and academic consortia as well as through strong relationships established with Global Medical Affairs.
- Key to success will be the ability to develop strong collaborative relationships internally as well as with external key opinion leaders, to enable development of overarching disease area strategies that inform clinical development of a broad portfolio of molecules in a specific disease. These strategies should also lead to the identification of novel or unknown drivers of disease and associated targets for internal and external drug discovery and development opportunities.
- May supervise 25-30 employees directly and will be expected to recruit strong external talent and develop internal key members of the team.
- Represents AbbVie at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- MD or PhD with relevant Immunology therapeutic specialty in an academic, clinical or research environment.
- Completion of post-doctoral fellowship with demonstrated record of accomplishments through publication and presentation at major international conferences is required.
- Minimum of 15 years of translational or early stage drug development experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry or equivalent is desired.
- Proven leadership skills in global, cross-functional global team environments.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy.
- Ability to run a complex clinical program independently.
- Recognized expertise of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development strategy and the design of protocols across all phases of development
- A minimum of 7-10 years of early/translational clinical development experience in a pharmaceutical company, CRO or bio-technology company plus expert knowledge in a relevant Neurosciences therapeutic specialty.
- Demonstrated ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategies.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.