Senior Scientist I, Organic Synthetic Chemistry
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Scientist will conceive and execute organic synthetic chemistry research that achieves project and area goals, generating and acting on scientific proposals to investigate, develop, and optimize new synthetic strategies/methods/techniques. The candidate will act as a lead scientist in his/her area of expertise on one or more projects, critically evaluating relevant scientific advances and integrating this knowledge into research programs.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Effectively write and communicate research results internally
- Publish research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals and present at conferences
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contributing to the generation of project-related documents and presentations
- Use external information to gain competitive intelligence and act as an advocate to integrate this knowledge into the group's research efforts
- Generate new research or development strategies to effectively address project and divisional goals/needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies
- Potentially supervise one or more direct reports and proactively engage in their development
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- PhD, MS, or BS in Organic Chemistry or closely related field
- 0-3+ years (PhD); 8-10+ years (MS); or 10-12+ years (BS) of job-related synthetic organic chemistry experience
- Effective writer and communicator of research
- Proactively seeks out new information in the literature and incorporates this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Demonstrated ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Postdoctoral and/or pharmaceutical industry experience
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where needed
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.