Principal Automation Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Principal Automation Engineer will have responsibility for maintaining regulatory aspects of manufacturing control networks, control and monitoring systems, and data collection used throughout AbbVie Bioresearch Center’s biologics manufacturing facility. Through their skill and leadership abilities, they shall ensure the success of automation and engineering projects at the site.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions include:
- Responsible for design, development, and testing of process automation systems such as Foxboro I/A DCS, Rockwell PLCs, etc.
- Responsible for providing support to manufacturing data historian and analytics systems such as OSISoft PI, Smart Factory Rx, etc.
- Apply engineering principles and technical expertise in supporting project execution and operational support activities.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and knowledge sharing to junior staff members.
- Provide automation improvements based on cGMP’s related to the operation, validation, and maintenance of manufacturing related computer systems.
- Support project execution, operational startup and handover of automation and target equipment systems to end-users.
- Participate in continual improvement programs as required.
- Support commissioning and qualification activities as required.
- Follow applicable standard operating procedures while working with qualified systems.
- Assist departmental objectives by proactively identifying continuous improvement opportunities and developing strategic roadmaps.
- Support operations on a rotating 24/7 on-call shift.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline, along with a minimum 10 years of progressive work experience required.
- Desire to lead a team of engineers or previous experience leading a team preferred.
- Experience programming, troubleshooting, and leading continuous improvement projects with process automation systems such as Foxboro I/A, Rockwell ControlLogix, Emerson DeltaV, etc. required.
- Theoretical and applied knowledge of process instrumentation, continuous process control, S88 batch programming required.
- Experience with PLCs (such as Allen-Bradley ControlLogix), programming in ladder logic and instructional texts, and HMI screen development and management preferred.
- Experience with commissioning and qualification, and computerized systems validation required.
- Experience with communication protocols such as DeviceNet, Foundation Fieldbus, Profibus, Modbus, BACnet, etc. preferred
- Experience interfacing/configuring data historian systems such as OSISoft PI preferred.
- Experience designing, implementing, and administering Windows Server Operating Systems and related components including Active Directory, NTFS Setup and Security, User Administration, TCP/IP with DHCP, WINS and DNS preferred.
- Experience working in biologics production environment preferred.
Other Skills, Attributes and Abilities:
- Ability to lead large capital projects and initiatives.
- Ability and aspiration to lead a team of engineers.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to assist customers in a pleasant, non-technical manner for problem resolution.
- Proven ability to recognize symptoms, analyze system data, and take corrective actions when problems arise.
- Ability to apply automation solutions and troubleshoot complex problems to address business needs.
Physical & Safety Requirements:
- This position requires good visual acuity, with a large portion of the time using a PC or other screens.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.