Senior Scientist I/ II, Stem Biology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomic Research Center (GRC) has an opening for a Senior Scientist I in the Genome Biology group. GRC is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC goal is to develop world class genetics and genomics research focused on finding the right therapeutic targets and helping AbbVie scientists better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior and response to our drugs in clinical trials across all therapeutic areas.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Scientist with expertise in handling human ESC/iPSc culture and differentiation to establish iPSc-based disease modeling capabilities to support novel drug discovery approaches based on cell behavior.
This position will provide opportunities to devise innovative solutions in discovery new therapeutic targets through the implementation and utilization of cutting-edge science and state-of-the-art equipment to address gene function and causal variants.
Applicants should have a broad laboratory research experiences in genomics, gene targeting, cellular and molecular biology techniques. Strong communication and teamwork skills are essential as the candidate is expected to operate in a highly paced and multi-disciplined environment. The candidate must be able to manage multiple research projects. A background in the functional evaluation of coding/noncoding sequences utilizing modified iPSc and differentiation to various cell lines as potential therapeutic targets is required.
- Expanding genome engineering capabilities in GRC/Genome Biology Group and by collaboration throughout AbbVie Inc.
- Establish protocols for directed differentiation of human pluripotent cells to model a variety of cell types and diseases.
- Implement functional assays on the cell level.
- Develop iPSC disease models by reprogramming patient primary cells or introducing disease-driver mutations using, for example Crispr-Cas9 technology.
- Contribute to writing of publications, presentations, and patents.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Provide scientific leadership to develop creative/innovative cell-based assays to discover new targets and innovative application engineered cells to enhance internal capabilities.
Position will be hired based on level of education and experience.
- PhD in the field of stem biology and gene editing.
- 0-4+ years of postdoctoral training in academia and/or in early Assistant Professor level.
- Proficiency working with the diverse primary and modified cell lines expose to different stressors.
- Skilled in molecular/cell techniques including cell sorting, cell transfection and transduction, western blot, qRT-PCR, gel shift, ELISA, extensive experience working with lentivirus, as examples.
- Experience using gene editing tools (CRISPR, TALEN, or ZFN).
- Experience with various genomic technologies such as RNAi, NGS, RNA Seq, etc.
- Expertise in analysis of genetic variation from next generation sequencing data and/or genome wide association studies (GWAS).
- Publication record supporting required basic qualifications preferentially as the first author in peer review journal.
Additional desired skills
- Proficiency in cellular and genomic analyses including functional evaluation of coding and noncoding DNA sequences.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, and integrity.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Must be authorized to work in U.S.
- Immediate availability
Key AbbVie Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.