Senior Scientist I - Bioassay Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Since 2013, AbbVie has expanded its commitment to the San Francisco Bay Area, now represented by three facilities in Redwood City, South San Francisco, Sunnyvale and a future new Bay Area headquarters in South San Francisco. AbbVie employees in the Bay Area drive AbbVie’s research-based, innovation driven missions in healthcare. Specifically, Bay Area employees bring deep scientific expertise and commercial excellence to advance cancer care. Current oncology areas of focus include immuno-oncology, tumor targeting, tumor dependency and precision medicine. With facilities positioned in the heart of the biotechnology industry, we are able to collaborate with the best and brightest minds in oncology.
We are seeking a Senior Scientist I to join our Bioassay Development team. This Senior Scientist I will support the development and evaluation of newly discovered oncology drugs and existing clinical candidates.
In this lab-based role, your major responsibilities will include the development of cell-based potency assays (bioassays) and ligand-binding potency assays, as well as performing potency testing and biological characterization in support of the development of therapeutic antibodies, antibody variants, and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs).
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, cell/molecular biology, or a related field with typically 10 years of applicable industry experience, Master’s Degree in biology, cell/molecular biology, or a related field with typically 5 years of applicable industry experience, or Ph.D. in biology, cell/molecular biology, or a related field with typically 2 years of applicable industry experience.
- Knowledge and proficiency with current binding potency assay approaches, such as ELISA, FACS, and/or other binding potency assay platforms (i.e. TR-FRET, Octet, AlphaLISA)
- Demonstrated proficiency with current bioassay methodologies, such as cytotoxicity assays, reporter assays, and/or flow cytometry.
- Experience performing cell-based assays and target binding potency assays to measure the biological activity of biologics drugs.
- Experience identifying performance issues with assays and independently developing creative solutions.
- Strong working knowledge and hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture (sterile cell culture technique, cell maintenance, counting, banking, transfection)
- Experience using PRISM, PLA, Softmax Pro, or similar data analysis software.
- Proven ability to work in a highly collaborative scientific environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong presentation skills.
- The ideal candidate will be hard-working, self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to learn and adapt quickly.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.