Associate Scientist/Chemistry I
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
An Associate Scientist I position is available in the Process Chemistry group in the Process Research and Development Department at AbbVie Lake County. The Process Chemistry group is responsible for enabling drug development by devising fit for purpose chemical routes and demonstrating cGMP manufacturing to provide high quality drug substances. We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized Associate Scientist I to assist in ensuring efficient operation of the laboratories and with experimental execution. They should also have working knowledge of basic laboratory techniques and common laboratory equipment.
- Follow established experimental protocols and assess results with supervision. Apply basic scientific principles to research.
- Recognize and report experimental variances.
- Learn and effectively implement new experimental protocols and/or techniques.
- Consult literature to understand scientific purpose of assignments. Impact projects predominantly through lab based activities.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and optimize laboratory operations for efficient use of time and laboratory supplies and reagents, when appropriate.
- As necessary, create work aids for operating equipment and train new users.
- Set up experimental apparatus as necessary.
- Manage laboratory equipment and chemical inventories, perform routine maintenance of laboratory equipment as needed.
- Maintains laboratories in clean, safe, functioning state using the principles of 5S.
- Promote and enforce safe work practices in the laboratories.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Bachelor’s in chemistry or related field with laboratory experience.
- Working knowledge of HPLC is highly desirable.
- Excellent written communication, oral communication, organization, and multitasking skills.
- Proficient with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
. Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.