Associate III / Scientist, Biological Research
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Within the Nonclinical and Translational Sciences function, the successful candidate will lead and/or contribute to discovery and validation of targets in Glaucoma neuroprotection. Amongst a highly collaborative team of scientists, the Associate III / Scientist will evaluate MOAs in several in vivo optic neuropathy models, conduct target identification/validation, and support drug discovery activities. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated, hands-on experimentalist capable of leading scientific projects in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders/experts. Emphasis is on successfully performing hands-on work, demonstrating scientific leadership skills, and interacting in a team environment.
Prior experience in ophthalmology, neuroscience, in vitro & in vivo neurodegenerative disease models, or drug development is an asset. The candidate should also have a strong track record of cross-functional collaborations and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Design and implement experimentation to validate hypotheses and assess relevant target/disease biology using both in vitro and in vivo disease models
- Establish various optic neuropathy models (i.e., optic nerve crush, Optic neuritis)
- Run ophthalmology assays including but not limited to intraocular pressure measurement, outflow capacity measurements, anterior chamber examination, retinal photography, electroretinography, and optical coherence tomography
- Image acquisition, processing, and analysis
- Prepare research reports, scientific papers, and IND/NDAs
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline, such as pharmacology, physiology, biochemistry, or neuroscience
- Or a master's degree in a relevant discipline, such as pharmacology, physiology, biochemistry, neuroscience with 5+ years of research experience in industry or academia.
- Experience in the field of Glaucoma & vision research is desired
- Experience in neurodegenerative disease models is desired
- Strong scientific skills with the ability to collaborate with project team members
- Must be able to multitask effectively and be adaptable and flexible to meet changing priorities
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.