Medical Affairs Lead- Cross Immunology US Medical Affairs
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Vision and Strategy: Provides consistent overarching leadership and direction for Medical vision, strategies, plans and resource investment across Immunology. Drives strong 1mmunology culture and encompasses a “All for One AbbVie” mindset.
Leadership: Immunology Senior Leadership Team (SLT) member responsible for helping teams to develop and execute consistent yet innovative strategies and tactics across Immunology. Demonstrates organizational partnership and influence across various external and internal (Commercial Analytics and Operations, US Medical Operations, Commercial, Patient Services, etc.) stakeholders. Leads and develops cross-functional business teams. Leverages coaching effectively and efficiently to help to create high-performing teams and elevate team skills and knowledge. Supervises small team including other MDs/ PharmDs/PhDs.
Responsible for partnering with US Medical Operations to drive Medical Innovation and Execution across Immunology.
- Ensures consistency and overall strategy across Immunology in functional/tactical planning
- Leads cross functional teams to drive strategies and tactics supporting scientific and business needs that go across the immunology portfolio
- Ensures innovation and sharing of key learnings related to digital Medical Education strategies
- Develops standards/consistent repositories for USMA Immunology onboarding and on-going training (scientific and non-scientific foundational skills)
- Ensures consistency in execution of key initiatives including Advisory Boards, MABI testing, Congress activities/Medical Booths, key external stakeholder engagement strategy, etc.
- Leads process improvement and standardization recommendations for Medical Review across Immunology and is accountable for the medical review of complex advertising and promotional materials for cross-immunology stakeholders
- Enhances strategy and execution across key professional and patient advocacy organizations
- Ensures budgets, timelines, compliance requirements for cross Immunology programs & scientific activities
- Work with teams to continue to evolve and advance Field Medical insight capabilities
- Collaborate with National Directors to drive consistency and efficiency across TAs in key field activities (e.g., territory planning, key account management, performance metrics/reporting, launch readiness, congress planning, key external stakeholder engagement strategy, and field medical sizing)
- Maintain understanding of regulatory and compliance standards and evolving landscape for Field Medical role to ensure innovative tactics are compliant and aligned with industry standards
- Strategically align across immunology on MSL involvement with clinical trial programs. Works with Pipeline MSL Director to maximize the appropriate role of Field Medical in AbbVie’s clinical studies to enhance appropriate trial site identification and overall recruitment and enrollment.
- Advanced degree (MD, PhD, DO, PharmD) with relevant therapeutic area expertise preferred; at least 8-10 years experience in academia or hospital and pharma environment with majority of experience within pharmaceutical medical affairs roles (Field and or operations experience a bonus)
- Strong leader and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence constructively across all functions and management levels
- Proven track record of working in a matrix environment, strong teamwork skills, leading cross functional teams, timely decision-making and results oriented to achieve key business objectives
- Ability to run complex medical affairs team(s) and work independently with the ability to articulate and negotiate projects and priorities across functions and/or organizations
- Strong sense of urgency and strong goal orientation, an ability to make decisions and a history of meeting deadlines and objectives
- Creative, innovative thinker with strong strategic mindset
- Experience solving complex problems and enhancing processes; adaptability and flexibility to switch between projects and priorities
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry; experience with medical, legal, regulatory promotional/non-promotional review requirements and evaluating risks related to non-promotional activities
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.