Senior Scientist I/II, In Vivo Tumor Biology (Immuno-Oncology)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Our expanding In Vivo Tumor Biology group in Lake County, IL has an opening for a motivated individual who is dedicated to the discovery and development of innovative therapeutics, both small molecule and biologics, with a focus on immuno-oncology. The individual will design/perform in vivo studies to understand how to effectively modulate the innate and adaptive immune system for new therapies. Our scientists interact with in vitro biology, translational/biomarkers, toxicology, clinical research, and medicinal chemistry teams to advance oncology agents through the R&D pipeline.
- Designs and executes/conducts in vivo studies (e.g. syngeneic, humanized mouse models, GEMMs, adoptive transfer systems) aimed at drug discovery in the immuno-oncology space
- Uses detailed knowledge of state-of-the-art tools and approaches to enhance in vivo evaluation of novel therapeutics mechanism of action and/or identify new targets
- Executes secondary ex vivo cell-based assays across various technology platforms (e.g. cell sorting, imaging, IO-related culture systems)
- Performs supporting assays (e.g. CITE-Seq, FACS, ELISA/MSD, western blot/WES, immunoprecipitation, RT-PCR, scRNA-Seq) to assess target modulation levels and downstream effects at cellular, protein and gene level
- Participates in oncology target identification and validation
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative in troubleshooting experiments and performing data analysis
- Effectively collaborates across all intra and cross functional teams
- Presents research findings to project teams and governance bodies and prepares technical reports
- Works with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations to advance our understanding of oncology diseases
- Mentors and guides other scientists in the Department; Managerial experience that supports having direct report(s) preferred
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Immunology or a related discipline with 12+ (BS), 10+ (MS), or 4+ years of relevant research experience
- Hands-on expertise to design and perform complex in vivo experiments utilizing tumor models in both immunocompetent and immunocompromised mice
- Extensive knowledge of immuno-oncology and tumor biology
- Extensive experience in cell, biochemical and molecular analysis of immune cells including lymphoid and myeloid cells using flow cytometry, cytokine release assays, immunofluorescence imaging, cell proliferation assays, western blot, immunoprecipitation, qRT-PCR and other assays
- Demonstrated excellence and productivity in independent research.
- Proven publication record in immuno-oncology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Scientific leadership abilities and collaborative personality
- Detail-oriented, with excellent organizational and record-keeping skills
- Ph.D and 5+ years of experience
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Knowledge of humanized models, cell line-derived xenograft models, genetically engineered mouse models, adoptive immune cell transfer models, and/or in vivo tumor model-antigen platforms
- Experience with CRISPR, scRNA-Seq and other related technology in both in vitro and in vivo settings
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Entrepreneurial personality, with problem solving skills, critical thinking ability, and excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated and independent with an ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Excited to participate in and contribute to company culture
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.