BTS Purchasing & Central Services IT Project Manager
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Information Technology is critical to the enablement of AbbVie’s Procurement and Central Services landscape. The ability to leverage suppliers to provide necessary goods and services and the ability to optimize operations services across a number of business units enable AbbVie to make a remarkable impact on patients’ lives. This is an exciting opportunity to learn the Purchasing and Central Services BTS organization and manage a variety of programs and projects to support the success of the organization.
This position will be accountable for successful project delivery with expediting, managing and coordinating a multitude of interrelated BTS Purchasing and Central Services project activities within the constraints of human and financial resources and changing priorities to ensure the successful completion of projects. Providing key business insights and continuous improvement opportunities is a requirement of this role and allows this candidate to grow and develop within the organization and directly impact the success of our Business.
This position is expected to work with minimal oversight and has significant impact on the performance and perception of the Purchasing and Central Services BTS organization. This candidate will work directly for the Purchasing and Central Services BTS Portfolio Manager and will be responsible for supporting and guiding other Project Managers within the Purchasing and Central Services BTS organization.
Oversees all aspects of assigned projects and ensures commitment to scope, schedule and budget are met. Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, manages schedule & key milestones and summarizes project progress. Builds and maintains working relationships with team members, vendors, and other departments contributing to the projects.
Responsible for delivering all projects on time, within budget and meeting the desired outcomes and business requirements. Responsible for tracking project milestones, anticipating risks & issues, proactive risk mitigation and making recommendations to business and IT leadership to achieve successful outcomes.
Fluent in PMO methodologies and standards with planning, development & implementation experience. Experienced with IT SDLC methodologies and delivering projects using a combination of waterfall and agile delivery methods. Proven record of leading project execution activities in a complex matrix environment to deliver results for business and IT stakeholders.
Create and sustain business literacy in the Purchasing and Central Services BTS organization; maintain clarity about values, visions, meaning, and purpose and how the organization aligns across functional areas. Use this knowledge to be a Business advocate to provide strategic direction and continuous improvement opportunities for the Business and BTS organizations.
Responsible for managing the overall planning, execution and delivery of projects:
- Works with business and BTS management to establish and gain consensus on project scope, goals, objectives, deliverables, resources, Business benefits and overall timeline and milestones.
- Develops project estimates, plans and approaches to manage end-to end project execution.
- Ensures that business requirements are captured accurately and completely.
- Uses disciplined project management methodology to define scope, develop project plan, and execute projects that adhere to guidelines and deliver within cost and schedule.
- Strong cross-business unit / functional IT communication, influencing and negotiation to drive project results.
- Executes defined work plan obtaining authorized resources to ensure all activities are performed. Ensures projects are executed following SDLC requirements and with a targeted focus on risk identification and mitigation.
- Communicate project progress by producing project reports to provide timely and accurate project status and decision support information to Project Team, Department and Division management.
- Ensuring project closure including completion of lessons learned and required documentation.
Responsible for tracking project status and managing project issues and risks:
- Project Control: Assess the degree to which changes to scope, issues and risks will affect projects working with department, divisional management and sponsor to gain agreement for resolution. Measure performance to assure the project is progressing as compared to original plan and budget.
- Develop robust project risk management plans to ensure timely delivery, testing and commissioning of all projects with no impact to business continuity.
Responsible for building and leading effective project teams:
- Resource and Team Management: Coordinate resources to ensure project needs are addressed and effectively assign tasks and deliverables to team members based upon their abilities. Supervises and motivates cross-functional project team of business analysts, developers, and validation analysts. Subject Matter Expert support for other Projects Managers within the Purchasing and Central Services BTS organization.
- Using problem-solving/critical thinking skills, and independent thinking to overcome challenges
- Adapting to cultural and organizational climates across global team
- Serve as primary contact to senior department managers for critical change initiatives within a highly matrix environment
- Work with cross-functional team, contractors, and vendors to deliver critical projects
OTHER SKILLS/EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
- Experienced with leading projects in a structured PMO environment. Creation, management and ownership of key deliverables in a PMLC / SDLC framework.
- Expertise in creating work breakdown structures, risk management techniques, cost estimating, schedule development and other concepts associated with project management methodologies.
- Analytical with attention to detail as well as ability to understand the big picture and impacts to cross functional areas
- Highly motivated, results oriented team player
- Excellent communication skills with experience in Business and Technical arenas
- PMP certification required
- Excellent MS Project skills required
- Project Management and execution experience of Purchasing/Financial and Central Services programs/projects (e.g. security, facility mgmt., environmental health & safety) strongly preferred
- Experience with executing programs/projects using the SAP platform preferred
- Experience in the Pharmaceutical industry strongly preferred
- Experience with PPM tools preferred
- Fluent in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor degree in Business, Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 - 7 years experience in project management, business systems analysis, software development or deployment, with a minimum of 5 years experience managing projects
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.