National Account Director, Employer Channel, US Market Access
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The AbbVie Employer Team is group located within the Corporate Accounts Team, and has the responsibility to build, lead and direct AbbVie’s relationship with critical employers and key employer groups. The Employer Team engages large, nationally influential employers directly and smaller employers through forums such as business coalitions and employee benefit consultants (EBCs). In all cases, the team is charged with gaining support for reimbursement of AbbVie pharmaceuticals and to continue to provide an educational counterbalance to others seeking to influence employer decisions, including PBMs, EBCs, etc.
The National Account Director for the Employer Channel (“the Director”) leads a Team of Account Managers dedicated to creating and implementing initiatives which support AbbVie with employers. The Director also helps channel and deploy the resources of the company to support employer initiatives and is the authority on employers within AbbVie and as such is expected to have the presence and influence to build and/or change brand strategy within the channel to further meet company goals.
In addition, the Director also acts as a strategic account manager with critical national employer entities to influence these groups while at the same time providing crucial feedback from these entities into AbbVie’s leadership.
This critical role requires an advanced, dynamic leader, who can successfully manage an experienced team while personally influencing and where necessary creating AbbVie tactics. This role reports to the Vice President, Corporate Accounts, US Market Access.
- Lead a team of employer account executives in supporting AbbVie and AbbVie brands and therapy areas with critical employers and employer groups.
- Establish, maintain and enhance influence in the employer channel with a goal of maintaining employer, coalition and consultant support for AbbVie products and AbbVie’s approach to reimbursement.
- Successfully manage pull through of AbbVie products on PBM formularies to employer plan sponsor preferred drug lists; coordinate closely with PBM teams and be prepared to activate employer advocacy when necessary.
- Maintain expertise on employers, employer issues and pharmaceutical reimbursement to be a critical internal resource for brand and market access strategy development; be the go to partner for other internal stakeholders including Medical, Legal, Finance and Sales colleagues.
- Work closely within the team and with regional account management team, as necessary, to enhance relationship with regional employers, roundtables and coalitions with a goal of establishing local support for national strategies.
- Partner across channels, franchises and/or with national Corporate Account Directors to identify partnering and program opportunities that enhance AbbVie’s standing within the channel.
- Rapidly evaluate new opportunities and threats, identify short- and long-term implications and define plans that achieve business goals.
- Provide leadership and expertise to Account Management/Marketing teams for regional employer plan execution.
- Increase penetration and broaden AbbVie insights, analytics and execution in new and/or emerging employer channels such as onsite clinic vendors, health system ACOs and patient engagement/care management and advocacy organizations.
- Define gaps in resources and tools; works to collaboratively create/influence the creation of needed resources with Market Access Marketing colleagues to achieve objectives.
- Recruit, enhance and retain top talent in the Employer Team; work to insure strong exposure and development of team personnel.
- Manage budget and overall team spend within budget; Advocate for financial/personnel resources to meet team’s strategic needs.
- Build and maintain network of national KOLs and external team consultants.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Outstanding management and leadership skills
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally and gain internal and external support across a wide variety of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication ability
- Strong leader presence; deftness to engage at all levels of internal and external organizations
- Demonstrated ability to build a culture of respect, learning and cross-functional team work
- Strong interpersonal skills that enable quick establishment of trust and confidence.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree a positive.
- Superior business acumen and strategic planning skills with minimum of 10 years of experience in pharmaceutical sales or management, with preference towards pharmaceutical market access / account management experience.
- Advanced understanding of the employer channel and pharmaceutical reimbursement.
- Strong business acumen; analytical ability to analyze diverse sets of data and data insights using multiple tools and define account strategies that drive business objectives.
Location is flexible and is not tied to a specific geography; frequent travel to customers and AbbVie sites expected.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.