Director, US Field Medical Excellence - Remote/Virtual (Nationwide)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Field Medical Excellence, is responsible for overseeing USMA initiatives to drive Field Medical excellence and innovation, with a deep understanding of compliance for the US Area. Role will be responsible to work with key cross functional stakeholders including GMO, OEC, Legal, CA&O, as well as partner closely with respective US Area Medical Affairs stakeholders to deliver results and drive the vision of Abbvie excellence.
- Advance Field Medical vision and strategy to drive greater impact of Field Medical teams
- Drive development and implementation of Field Medical scientific interaction planning/engagement standards to enable consistency and greater effectiveness across Field Medical function.
- In partnership with CA&O, GMO, OEC and TA teams, enhance and implement In-Field Team (IFT) Excellence framework, IFT competency assessment at local level, and design of IFT solutions to drive IFT excellence.
- Continually evolve and advance Field Medical Insights capability to ensure high quality and compliant insights to inform brand strategy
- Design and implement key metrics/KPIs (quantitative & qualitative), which quantify and communicate Field Medical performance and impact.
- Responsible for development and implementation of tools and resources to enhance Field Medical External Expert engagement planning and execution. Partner with Global/USMA Medical Affairs teams, Clinical Development, and other key stakeholders to develop Field Medical external expert engagement strategy and plans that are aligned and supportive of overarching goals and strategic initiatives of AbbVie.
- Lead on US cross-functional strategic initiatives to advance In-Field Team Excellence.
- Maintain and further refine Field Medical operating/sizing model based on changing environment and business needs and facilitate Area level resourcing analysis in partnership with OEC and CA&O that is aligned to global/US approach.
- Partner closely with OEC and USMEDEX standards and compliance to ensure to pull through consistent application of USMA policies and procedures associated with materials creation and field execution and to identify training gaps.
- Serve as field-medical strategy & execution point of contact for senior medical leadership and cross-functional teams to enhance the ways we work (ex. In-Field Team effectiveness and One R&D). Develop and maintain a forum for National and Field Directors to foster consistency, best practice sharing, and forward-looking capability enhancements. (Comms)***
- Maintain and further refine Field Medical operating model as external environment and internal business needs evolve, with a focus on expanding multi-omni channel operations.
- Design and implement key metrics/performance indicators, both quantitative and qualitative, which quantify and report Field Medical performance, impact and effectiveness in partnership with USMA leadership, OEC and FFE systems.
- Leverage and evolve key metrics/performance indicators and other field performance data to provide timely and informative business updates to USMA SLT, via a business dashboard and other platforms.
- Responsible for Field Medical Insights gathering processes, standards and tools across USMA to ensure data gathered by Field Medical teams provides high quality and compliant critical information to inform Area brand teams on the development and execution of brand strategies and medical objectives.
- Responsible for the development, process, and maintenance of general guidance on External Expert identification, engagement expectations, scientific tiering and other qualitative segmentation approaches appropriate for Medical.
- Responsible for defining US business requirements Field Medical systems, and leading system evolution as it occurs. Responsible for ensuring system meets business needs and compliance standards, and working with Learning team on training and communication for any relaunches/system changes. Partner closely with Legal/OEC/Data Privacy to ensure compliance of the system design and implementation. Requires integration and cross-functional involvement within Commercial, Business Technology Solutions, clinical development, and other lines of AbbVie business for synergistic opportunities.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Business or Life Science required. A doctoral or advanced medical degree (PhD, MD, PharmD, NP, PA) strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of combined experience in related area required, experience in Medical Affairs/Global Medical Affairs setting preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years Field Medical experience preferred with experience in developing external expert engagement strategies within R&D. Field Medical leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry, specifically related to Field Medical roles.
- Strong tactical familiarity with Medical Affairs activities around external expert strategy and management.
Key Leadership Attributes:
- Must exhibit strategic thought and leadership with the ability to think and lead at the big picture level as well as the ability to translate strategic objectives into specific initiatives and manage successful execution
- Proven track record of working in a matrix environment, strong teamwork skills, leading cross functional teams, timely decision making and results orientation in meeting project, department and business objectives
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Creative, innovative thinker with strong strategic mindset and understanding the strategic value of working with external experts and robustly integrating them into AbbVie strategic objectives
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and negotiate projects and priorities across functions and/or organizations
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.