Senior Scientist I/II, Protein and Assay Sciences
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Protein and Assay Sciences (PAS) group within the Drug Discovery Science and Technology division at AbbVie is currently looking for a highly skilled and self-motivated scientist with expertise in protein mass spectrometry (MS) and analytical characterization techniques. An ideal candidate should have extensive hands-on experience in characterizing intact proteins, performing peptide mapping, and profiling post translational modifications using various MS-based techniques. This individual will work closely with both protein biochemists and MS team members to perform in depth MS analysis of purified protein samples to enable various small molecule drug discovery programs at AbbVie.
- Design and perform in depth MS analyses on a range of recombinant protein systems that will be used in various drug discovery workflows. Extensive peptide mapping will be performed to enable protein identification, elucidate cofactor/ligand binding, assist in understanding protein interactions, and profile a wide variety of post-translational modifications.
- Interact with the numerous cross functional team members and communicate precise, reliable, and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Excellent documentation of experimental results in electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Summarize experiments, results, and conclusions in technical characterization reports and present to the team.
Position will be hired based on level of experience & education.
- PhD, MS or BS degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or related technical discipline with typically 0-4+ (Ph.D), 6+ (MS), 10+ (BS) years of relevant experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- Prior experience with characterizing protein-small molecule and protein-protein interactions using MS methods is valued, but not required.
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, and appropriate handling of materials.
- Proven track record of hands-on experience in various protein LC-MS techniques such as peptide mapping, profiling protein post-translational modifications, protein identifications, etc.
- Experience with using different HPLC and UPLC based chromatographic methods (SEC, IEX, HILIC, RP) for preparing protein MS samples and troubleshooting any associated challenges.
- Hands-on skills in using different high resolution MS instruments and data analysis software for protein sample analysis is needed.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and experience working in a collaborative environment is needed.
- Experience in using different bioinformatics tools and mass spec analysis software to process and analyze mass spectrometry data.
- Solid understanding of protein structure, post-translational modifications, and analytical methods used for protein characterizations.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.