Manufacturing Associate (Hosp LabTech II)
UC San Diego Health
Manufacturing Associate (Hosp LabTech II)
Extended Deadline: Mon 4/12/2021
The Department of Medicine (DOM) is the largest department within the UCSD School of Medicine and is responsible for fulfilling the teaching, research, and clinical missions of the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine. The department employs approximately 500 salaried faculty, 168 academic appointees, 331 residents, fellow and postdocs and 479 staff personnel.
The Advanced Cell Therapy lab is a state of the art cGMP manufacturing facility whose highly skilled team will support UC and local investigators transition novel therapies through the IND and Phase I/II clinical trials.
Under general supervision, responsible for performing GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) cell culture and the associated assays within a laboratory or clean room. Perform a broad range of laboratory activities in the support of cell therapy products under cGMP for use in pre-clinical & clinical studies. Undertakes translational research and development and validation studies of processes and equipment as required. Performs all associated CTL procedures that are required to ensure the daily operation of the CTL and to maintain CTL licensing and accreditation, as indicated. Responsible for participating in the quality management and accreditation process. Responsible for culturing T cells, NK cells, neuronal cells, stem cells, embryonic stem cells, and other cell types derived from donors.
• Five (5) years of related experience, education/training; OR a Bachelor’s degree in related area plus one (1) year of related experience/training.
• Hands-on experience in a pharmaceutical, biotech, drug manufacturing, or academic environment is required, with knowledge of clean room practices being essential.
• Proven experience with aseptic cell culture methods, including cryopreserving, thawing, and expanding cell lines, is required.
• Proficient computer skills using MS Word, Excel and email.
• Demonstrated experience using basic laboratory equipment; knowledge of safe laboratory procedures.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks and to work under the pressure of multiple demands.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions described in SOPs and batch records and to record data accurately and in a legible manner per cGMP requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of individuals including faculty, clinicians, and staff and to work as a team member in a support position.
• Willingness to work in environment where biological (including infectious agents and blood borne pathogens), chemical, and radiological hazards are present, to perform research on the human pluripotent stem cell, to work with viruses that are infectious to humans, including adeno-associated viruses, Sendai viruses, and lentiviral vectors which are derived from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
• Experience and knowledge in iPSC cell culture techniques, including culturing and maintenance.
• Familiarity with the Miltenyi CliniMACs device, flow cytometry, and PCR techniques.
• Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
• Willingness to work in BioSafety Level II environment where biological (including infectious agents and blood borne pathogens) hazards are present.
• Willingness to work with embryonic stem cells, work with viruses that are infectious to humans, including adeno-associated viruses, Sendai viruses, and lentiviral vectors which are derived from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
• Willingness to adhere to established UCSD guidelines for safety and environmental issues.
• Must be able to work various hours and locations based on business needs.
UC San Diego Health is the only academic health system in the San Diego region, providing leading-edge care in patient care, biomedical research, education, and community service. Our facilities include two university hospitals, a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center, and several outpatient clinics. UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest is a designated Level I Trauma Center and has the only Burn Center in the county. We invite you to join our dynamic team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html