Discovery Scientist, Discovery Research
NextCure is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company located in Beltsville, MD that is focused on the discovery and development of novel immunomedicines for the treatment of cancer and other immune-related diseases. We are seeking an experienced scientist with a strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology to join our Discovery Research team. A successful candidate will develop and utilize methodologies to identify and validate functional protein-protein (receptor-ligand) interactions for orphan targets identified by our functional screening platforms. The candidate will play a key role in defining the mechanism of action of novel immunomodulatory proteins and validating candidate therapeutic agents. The selected candidate will work in a highly dynamic, proactive, multidisciplinary environment with the goal of rapidly moving novel biological medicines toward the clinic.
- Independently design and perform novel assays to isolate and characterize ligand/receptor pairs and protein complexes with an understanding of the complexity of identifying interactions in the plasma membrane and extracellular space.
- Develop biochemical techniques such as crosslinking-mediated pull-down, tyramide-mediated proximity-labeling, and BioID/Air-ID-mediated proximity-labeling to screen for novel protein interactions.
- Develop and implement techniques to validate binding interactions, which may include OCTET, SPR, ELISA, and FRET-based analyses.
- Coordinate with NextCure team members to validate the function of novel protein interactions.
- Manage external collaborations with CROs and academic partners.
- Coordinate and prioritize tasks across multiple projects.
- Communicate scientific results and conclusions in written reports and oral presentations.
Required education and experience
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related field.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in industry.
- Extensive experience in biochemical and protein chemistry techniques (protein IP and crosslinking, proximity-labeling, gel electrophoretic and Western analyses, Octet or SPR)
- Experience with collecting and interpreting mass spectrometry-based proteomics data.
- Demonstrated ability to independently investigate, compare, and incorporate new techniques and equipment.
- Outstanding project management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, and ability to work in matrix team environment.
- Strong publication record.
NextCure is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package in a scientifically engaged team environment.