- Thousand Oaks, CA, US
- Start date
- Apr 8, 2021
- Engineering, Biomedical Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Science/R&D, Biostatistics, Biotherapeutics
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach, Best Places to Work
You've earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge you've worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. In this vital role you will be part of our Pivotal Drug Product Technologies Group in Thousand Oaks, CA. This group owns the late stage drug product formulation and fill/finish process development for various biological modalities (large molecule, RNA, virus). Additionally, the position requires expertise in the field of aseptic processing, filling and manual/automated visual inspection unit operations. The Sr. Engineer will provide technical and project leadership while integrating information generated by cross functional teams to ensure success through the commercialization process. The Sr. Engineer will need to stay ahead of the latest developments/trends in the industry and scientific community to foster innovation and to meet future business needs.
- Plan, design, execute, and document laboratory studies related to formulation, aseptic processing, visual inspection and fill/finish process development in support of product commercialization and life cycle management
- Apply basic science/engineering skills and first principle modeling to tackle technical problems
- Participate in Drug Product Commercialization Teams responsible for conducting process development on pipeline products, as well as, supporting commercial products in lifecycle management.
- Perform data analysis using advanced statistical/analytical techniques with a proficiency in statistical analysis software.
- Provide support, as needed, to clinical and commercial fill/finish manufacturing operations through process capability analysis, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and product impact assessments for non-conformance investigations and process changes/improvements.
- Author and review guideline documents, technical protocols, reports, product impact assessments, and regulatory sections in support of IND and marketing application submissions.
- Deliver progress reports and presentations to ensure management awareness and engagement of the current status, advancement, and future program functional needs.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10% of the time.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The biotech/pharma Engineering professional we seek is a collaborative team-player with these qualifications.
Master's Degree and 3 years of Engineering and/or Operations experience
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years of Engineering and/or Operations experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Engineering and/or Operations experience
High school diploma/GED and 12 years of Engineering and/or Operations experience
- Advanced degree in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Pharmaceutics or related discipline or Statistics degree with experience in pharmaceutical development and manufacturing.
- 2+ years of post-doctoral or industry experience in pharmaceuticals/biotechnology or related field.
- Experience with unit operation (i.e. filling, filtration, visual inspection, etc.) specific scale down model development, characterization, and scale-up.
- Strong problem solving and effective cross-functional communication skills.
- Experience with coding/scripting for automated data analysis and modeling.
- Experience with data visualization tools or packages, such as Tableau or Spotfire.
- Experience that includes elements of new product development, aseptic processing, filling, manual / automated visual inspection, process characterization, equipment design and implementation, technical transfers to global manufacturing sites, statistical process control (SPC), and statistical design and analysis of experiments.
- Ability to learn and act on dynamic information at a rapid pace.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan-comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits-with compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We are all different, yet we have this in common: our mission to serve patients. This sense of shared purpose is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. It guides us as we continue to launch new medicines and reach millions of patients worldwide.
We live the mission.
We win together.
We thrive on continual challenge.
Our team of 22,000+ scientists and professionals worldwide bring distinct perspectives and experiences to all we do. We leverage our global talent to achieve together—to research, manufacture and deliver ever-better products and greater depth to our mission.
At Amgen, there is a strong correlation between our high level of diversity and performance. Because addressing issues with a wider range of perspectives and approaches leads to more creative problem-solving. Together, we’re transforming the promise of science and biotechnology into therapies that have the power to restore health.
Connect with us to explore how you can Win, Live, and Thrive at Amgen.
One Amgen Center Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert