Scientist - MS Proteomics
Uniquely positioned to enhance quality of life in aging, at Alkahest, we are pioneering science that is rapidly being translated to the clinic. Our approaches utilize in vivo, in vitro, proteomic, and molecular techniques to identify new therapeutics and apply them to patients.
We are seeking a highly motivated, resourceful, and detail-oriented scientist to join our collaborative and supportive mass spectrometry-based proteomics team. This position will be key in advancing our mass spectrometry platform as we establish and implement new enabling technologies to discover, characterize and validate biomarker and therapeutic target candidate proteins in complex biological samples. This position provides a unique opportunity to shape next generation MS efforts at Alkahest by integrating state-of-the-art approaches for sample preparation, data acquisition and data analysis with a focus on plasma proteomics.
Our ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic self-starter with a positive attitude, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to learn, develop, and implement MS methodology efficiently. The researcher will be responsible for designing and executing MS proteomics studies to analyze clinical and research samples on Thermo Orbitrap instruments, and actively contribute to MS data analysis. He/she will have opportunities to learn and develop state-of-the-art MS proteomics techniques, drive the implementation of high-throughput sample preparation methods, and utilize them to facilitate the development of novel therapeutics for aging diseases. The role requires dedication to drive science, flexibility, and efficient interaction with a team of scientists and research associates to advance multiple projects in parallel.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct mass spectrometry-based proteomics studies with an emphasis on development of LC-MS based targeted assays
- Develop new and improve upon existing procedures for sample preparation for LC-MS/MS analysis, including automation of high-throughput proteomic sample preparation methods, such as chemical labeling, and in-gel and in-solution proteolytic digestion protocols
- Research, identify, explore and implement novel approaches for plasma proteomics
- Support discovery proteomics efforts using DIA, TMT, and label-free proteomics approaches
- Align and collaborate with group members and in vitro and in vivo research teams across Alkahest to support and advance research goals
- Work with human clinical samples
- Operate, troubleshoot, and maintain MS instrumentation
- PhD (or MS plus extensive experience) in a relevant chemical, biochemical, or biological discipline
- Experience in method development and optimization for targeted proteomics
- Extensive hands-on experience with Orbitrap MS platforms and liquid chromatography systems and proteomics sample preparation methods
- Proficiency in mass spectrometry analysis software packages
- Experience with top-down MS methods for intact protein analysis is a plus
- Collaborative team spirit and the ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a multi-tasked, fast-paced startup environment