Senior Scientist I/II, Computational Oncology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomic Research Center (GRC) Computational Oncology team at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated computational biologist/ bioinformatics scientist to play an integral role in a multi-disciplinary team focused on developing new therapies for the treatment of cancer. AbbVie’s GRC is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, human genetics, and genomic medicine. The GRC works across all R&D as well as other areas such as process sciences and corporate strategy.
This position is based at AbbVie’s brand-new CA headquarters located in South San Francisco, CA. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment to contribute to oncology discovery and clinical development programs (including therapies based on antibody-drug conjugates, small molecule inhibitors, protein degraders, etc.). They will be responsible for formulating scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts, developing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, integrating large scale multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights, and communicating scientific findings to project teams. In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentations at scientific conferences, publications in peer-reviewed journals, new drug applications, and regulatory filings.
- Develop and apply statistical and computational tools for analysis of high dimensional data from pre-clinical models (cell line, xenografts, ex-vivo screen), clinical trials, real world evidence datasets to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease subtypes, indication selection, patient stratification, etc.
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses, machine learning and deep learning methods.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders.
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry.
- Will have the opportunity to mentor.
Position will be hired based on level of education & experience
- PhD. Degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, mathematics, computer science, genomics, cancer biology, immunology, or a related field with typically 0-4+ years of experience; Master’s degree with typically 8-10+ years of experience; Bachelor’s degree with typically 10-12+ years of experience.
- Extensive expertise in computational biology, bioinformatics, cancer genomics, and biomarker strategies. Good understanding of cancer biology, cancer signaling, immunology, and related subjects.
- Proficient in either R or Python. Experience with any of the following programming languages also a plus: Java, C/C++, or Shell in a Linux environment.
- Experienced with statistical analysis of genomic and transcriptomic data.
- Expertise in predictive modeling, quantitative data analysis, and machine learning.
- In-depth understanding of technologies related to high-throughput experimental techniques, such as next generation sequencing technologies, single cell platforms, proteomics, microarray platforms, CRISPR screens, etc.
- Develop and implement analysis workflow, software applications, and data warehouse to improve visualization, integration, and accessibility of complex genomics and clinical data.
- Understand how to use and leverage containers for deploying standard pipelines (Docker, AWS Container, etc.).
- Experiences with both preclinical and clinical development are highly valued.
- Pro-active, collaborative scientist with outstanding presentation and communication skills that foster teamwork across a wide variety of functions and audiences.
- A self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic capable of managing multiple objectives in parallel. At ease in a dynamic environment and quick to adapt to changing priorities.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.