Associate Director, Exploratory Statistics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director of Exploratory Statistics provides statistical leadership in drug discovery and non-clinical and clinical biomarker activities to support target identification/verification, characterizing subgroups of patients or markers of disease progression and treatment response and patient selection or stratification. The associate director role collaborates with discovery researchers, translational scientists and clinicians in the design, collection, analysis and reporting of multi-dimensional biomarker data from Discovery to late stage clinical development to enable objective decision-making for each clinical program in the responsible therapeutic area.
- Lead statistical support for clinical biomarker programs through own efforts or those of the team. Provide expertise/Lead statistical strategies in at least one major target/program or multiple emergent targets/programs for Discovery, Translational Science and Biomarker projects.
- Train and mentor staff on statistical methodology and scientific interpretations. May supervise contract statisticians or junior statisticians. Develop strategy for building data analysis pipelines, statistical evaluation and interpretation of large and complex data sets in various stages of the responsible therapeutic areas. Identify and implement effective data analysis, computational or modeling techniques for interpreting discovery and biomarker data.
- Plan and track project activities, timelines, and resource utilization. Drive for timely and high-quality deliverables. Assist in recruiting qualified personnel and arranging training opportunities for professional development of staff.
- Maintain awareness of advanced exploratory statistical analysis technology, industry practices/standards and regulatory requirements and communicate within and outside team.
- Providing leadership in designing, analyzing and reporting of biomarker-based clinical trials or other scientific research studies. Independently developing or providing guidance to develop biomarker section of clinical trial protocols or biomarker analysis plans. Work independently or provide guidance to Implement sound statistical methodology in scientific investigations.
- Represent function/department on project team(s) to provide statistical input to biomarker discovery/development and drive alignment with functional management. Partner with other functions to create strategies for assigned projects.
- Maintain an external presence within the statistics community by representing AbbVie on advanced and emerging topics. Attend key conferences and workshops in support of the presentation of company data, and the evaluation of scientific data presented across industry and academia.
- PhD in statistics or related field with 6+ years of experience or Master in statistics or related field with 10+ of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Demonstrated expertise in advanced statistical/quantitative methods (e.g. adaptive designs, Bayesian methods, optimization, machine learning, modeling, multiplicity, subgroup identification, precision medicine etc.).
- Able to build strong relationship with peers and cross-functional partners to achieve higher performance. Highly motivated to drive innovation by raising the bar and challenging the status quo
- Pharmaceutical or related industry knowledge required, including experience and understanding of drug development and life-cycle management in the regulated environment.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.