Field Service Engineer - UK
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities. Title: Field Service Engineer - UK
Location: United Kingdom
This is a field-based position that provides on-site customer support for Pacific Biosciences revolutionary new third generation DNA sequencing platform. This person will install equipment at customer sites, ensure it meets performance specifications, and train operators on its use. They will be responsible for the ongoing repair, maintenance and upgrade of the instrument at multiple customer locations. Consistent with a start-up environment this position will require flexibility in job responsibilities, travel and assignments. The successful candidate will have superior customer management and technical skills in both engineering and science disciplines. They must be able to function independently but also work closely with development, manufacturing, and field sales and support teams. This will require a highly motivated individual, dedicated to deliver a best-in-class service experience to our customers.
- Perform installation, maintenance, upgrade and repair of Pacific Biosciences equipment at customer locations.
- Submit timely documentation of service activities and expenses.
- Maintain accurate and reliable service spare parts inventory.
- Work closely with sales and field application specialists to ensure customer expectations are being met.
- Mentor and train new and less experienced service engineers.
- Develop and improve operating procedures and processes.
- Contribute to knowledge base in a timely manner to share problems and solutions with other Field Service Engineers.
- Provide feedback, reports and analysis of field issues to product teams and service management.
- Write and edit service documentation for alignment, replacement and upgrade procedures.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- BA or BS in Engineering or Science or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years servicing or supporting complex electromechanical/chemical equipment.
- Knowledge of biochemistry, biology and/or other life sciences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Extensive travel required.
- Proficient with computer software and hardware, including Windows and Linux OS, real-time processing systems, disk arrays and Ethernet architecture.
- Valid drivers license with good driving record.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience with life sciences instrumentation, especially DNA sequencing technology, a significant plus.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.