Associate Scientist I, Bioprocess Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Title: Associate Scientist I, Purification, Bioprocess Development
An Associate Scientist I position is available within Purification Development group in Bioprocess Development Department at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester. The group is responsible for developing and supporting downstream manufacturing process for early and late phase clinical biologics programs. We strive for speedy delivery of high-quality processes that are cost-effective, manufacturing friendly, and robust. The group interacts closely with Discovery, Cell Culture Development, Pilot Lab, Protein Analytics, Drug Product Formulation Development, Manufacturing, Quality, and CMC teams. We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative scientist who will make tangible contributions under the supervision of a senior scientist to the continuous improvement and innovation within the organization in delivering innovative therapies to the patients.
The candidate will be involved with all aspects of protein purification and protein chemistry to support biopharmaceutical process development.
- Develop recovery and purification process that utilizes clarification, chromatography, membrane filtration, and other separation techniques for recombinant proteins;
- Develop downstream purification processes to be transferred to manufacturing;
- Independently perform laboratory scale process development and characterization studies;
- Perform basic data acquisition and analysis, document in electronic lab notebooks;
- Perform various bioanalytical assays, including HPLC, ELISAs and SDS-PAGE, to aid in rapid process development;
- The candidate must possess strong written, oral, and collaborative skills in order to effectively communicate experimental procedures and results;
Supply technical support for pilot and/or GMP manufacturing of clinical programs.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical or biochemical engineering or related disciplines
- 1-2+ (BS), or 0-2+ (MS) years of work experience with knowledge of protein purification and standard analytical techniques
- Sound scientific understanding of protein separation technologies and ability to explore and develop new approaches to further advance innovative purification technologies desirable
- Experiences in protein chromatography, membrane filtration, mechanistic and process modeling, a plus
- Basic knowledge in related functional areas, such as cell culture, protein chemistry and analytics or formulation, a plus
- Demonstrated record of independent thinking, creativity, and scientific accomplishment (e.g. peer reviewed journal publications, patents)
- Candidate must be a goal-oriented team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.