Head of Communications
Ovid Therapeutics Inc. is a New York, NY & Cambridge, MA-based biopharmaceutical company using its BoldMedicine® approach to develop medicines that transform the lives of patients with rare neurological disorders. We believe these disorders represent an attractive area for drug development as the understanding of the underlying biology has grown meaningfully over the last few years and today represents a substantial opportunity medically and commercially. Based on recent scientific advances in genetics and the biological pathways of the brain, we aim to identify, discover and acquire novel compounds for the treatment of rare neurological disorders. We have built a deep knowledge of such disorders, how to treat them and how to develop the clinically meaningful endpoints required for development of a compound in these disorders. We continue to execute on our strategy to build this pipeline by discovering, in-licensing and collaborating with leading biopharmaceutical companies and academic institutions. These pipeline programs include programs targeting rare epilepsies, Angelman syndrome and Fragile X syndrome, as well as early-stage programs into other monogenetic disorders. Ovid's emerging pipeline programs include OV329, a small molecule GABA aminotransferase inhibitor for seizures associated with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex and Infantile Spasms; OV882, a short hairpin RNA therapy approach for Angelman syndrome; OV815, a genetic therapy approach for KIF1A associated neurological disorder; and other non-disclosed research targets. Additionally, Ovid maintains a financial interest in OV935 which is now being developed by Takeda. For more information on Ovid, please visit www.ovidrx.com .
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Communications Leader is responsible for leading the overall strategic development, implementation and management of Ovid Therapeutics' communications/corporate affairs initiatives across multiple audiences including media, advocacy partners, government affairs, analysts and investors. This individual will be responsible for ensuring full cross-functional alignment on storytelling, messaging, and interaction with both internal and external stakeholders. This individual will also straddle proactive corporate brand work with communications goals to enable enhanced reputation and awareness for the Ovid brand and the narrative of the business.
The initial focus of this role will be strategic corporate communications, strategic product communications including milestones for key pipeline assets, overseeing external agency partners (e.g. PR and IR agencies) and ensuring consistent communication alignment across Ovid. The role will report to the CEO and will and be an extended member of the management team and dedicated to the evolving Ovid story and to build and strengthen Ovid's corporate and brand reputation.
- Oversee external communications in line with Ovid's business priorities and corporate strategy;
- Lead and navigate strategic communication for Ovid's product portfolio and corporate communications;
- Establish/support relationships with all relevant top global/regional/local and local media to assure both reactive and proactive transparent communications;
- Support leadership messaging and positioning internally and externally (town halls, stakeholder messages, speaker opportunities etc.);
- Partner with relevant internal and external teams to seamlessly weave the Ovid story into all communications and brand activities;
- Execute strategy for owned, earned and paid media for Ovid;
- In collaboration with the Executive Team, develop and execute a comprehensive suite of IR and corporate communications programs and strategies in accordance with enterprise goals to enhance the perception and visibility of Ovid Therapeutics within biotechnology/pharmaceutical and investment communities;
- Ensure the company is appropriately and strategically positioned with analysts, investors, media, advocacy, and all other relevant stakeholders;
- Work collaboratively across a variety of functions, including commercial, medical, clinical development, patient advocacy and others to support communications goals and ensure alignment and consistency in key messaging;
- Support corporate reputation activities including development corporate narrative and providing strategic communications for senior leadership as needed, e.g., speech content, talking points, presentations, and news releases;
- Ensure that the brand messaging is consistent with the overall corporate messaging;
- Update and maintain brand guide while ensuring continuity externally and internally of corporate identity;
- Help manage Ovid's corporate website and internal intranet governance, collaborating with stakeholder throughout the organization to develop critical and creative content;
- In partnership with Human Resources, develop effective employee/internal communications plans that strengthen recruitment, employee value proposition, employee engagement, and company culture;
- Investigate innovative ways to reach patients and healthcare providers through PR activities involving media and advocacy groups, including use of social media;
- Assist in planning and organizing media engagement activities;
- Manage public relations and/or corporate communications agency partners to maximize impact and assistance in reaching desired communications goals and objectives;
- Manage communication governance (review and approval) process that ensures message buy-in from related parties and the Executive Team;
- Engage and establish partnerships with key patient-centric advocacy stakeholders and professional organizations in relevant geographical areas; serve as point of contact to foster authentic, compliant, productive, and value-added relationships with these groups;
- Support the prioritization and management of advocacy initiatives, including, but not limited to, contracts, program scope, program organization, plan development and risk management
- Monitor external coverage of Ovid in trade and business news across various platforms and develops KPIs to measure impact;
- Also willing to express an opposing view in the interest of good counsel - along with the organizational courage to stand firm when the situation requires;
- Provide support at the corporate and brand level, with focus on ensuring alignment and readiness on key issues identified through periodic risk analysis.
- Teamwork & Collaboration - Actively partners well with others toward a goal while maintaining respect and inclusivity. Initiates contact with others to build relationships and trust. Puts the needs of the organization, team or others ahead of self;
- Big Picture Orientation - Recognizes opportunities for change; creates competitive solutions to achieve better long-term results and maintains a broad perspective while considering risks. Anticipates future risks and trends and identifies internal and external customers' challenges and needs;
- Technical Expertise - Applies and improves specialized skills, needs and judgement to accomplish results or accomplish one's job effectively;
- Accountability - Delivers against aggressive deadlines/goals and follows through on commitments. Responsible for own actions, demonstrates results-orientation and is consistently reliable;
- Dealing with Ambiguity - Manages uncertainty, decides and acts without having the total picture, copes with change, shifts gears comfortably, and can handle risk;
- Change - Says what they think, even when it's unpopular. Unafraid to make smart decisions with short-term costs or risk. Recovers quickly from adversity and setbacks;
· Preferred advanced degree (MBA) and additional relevant practical experience; 15+ years of public relations, corporate communications, and media experience with a strong understanding of business needs and competitive challenges in the biotech industry;
· The professional presence and business acumen to relate as a trusted colleague to the Leadership team;
· Cross-functional experience leading through complexity, with the ability to influence and collaborate with multiple stakeholders at all levels and across functions;
· Ability to shift between strategy and execution and thrive in a fluid and dynamic environment.
· Demonstrated experience using a multi-channel approach including social, written and video content, digital, presentations, analyst and additional external stakeholder events;
· Ability to prioritize work effectively often under time pressure.
Show more Show less