Senior R&D Mechanical Engineer
Pulse Biosciences (Nasdaq: PLSE) is a bio-electric medicine company committed to health innovation that has the potential to improve and extend the lives of patients. The CellFX® System will be the first commercial product to harness the distinctive advantages of our proprietary Nano-Pulse Stimulation™ (NPS™) technology. The unique cell-specific effects of the NPS mechanism of action have the potential to significantly benefit patients across multiple medical applications, including dermatology, our first planned commercial application.
We exist to make a positive difference in the lives of patients, physicians, healthcare providers, shareholders and our Pulse Biosciences team members. We take pride in hiring the best and brightest minds to our world-class company. Individuals who are creative, forward-thinking, and who approach challenges with an innovative attitude will excel in our culture.
The Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer is responsible for developing devices for the delivery of high-voltage nanosecond pulsed electric fields in a doctor’s office or operating room. Responsibilities include taking concepts from early prototypes to volume production, working closely with physicians, surgeons, and medical facility personnel to obtain design feedback in a clinical environment, and developing close ties with new vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and develop high-volume medical devices that can be manufactured via injection molding, stamping, etching, laser cutting/welding, ultrasonic welding, etc.
- Quickly prototype and test concepts for feasibility; Analyze data for efficacy.
- Ensure a smooth transition of new products into manufacturing.
- Manage projects with cross-functional teams following design control processes while generating medical product requirements/specifications, FMEA/Hazard analyses, design reviews, validation testing, in-vivo/in-vitro animal testing, DHFs, etc.
- Exhibit a great attitude and flexibility as a team player who excels in a demanding start-up environment.
- Understand the company’s quality policy and quality system requirements applicable to tasks.
- Comply with company policies/procedures.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BS in mechanical engineering required. MS degree preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant medical product design and development experience in medical device industry required.
- Extensive mechanical design expertise with open surgical, laparoscopic or percutaneous disposable/reusable medical devices.
- Experience in dermatology product design and development is a plus.
- Startup experience a plus.
- Proven track record of generating innovative medical device concepts that can be turned into manufacturable products.
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical engineering theory including: mechanisms, strength of materials, materials, adhesives, and high-volume manufacturing techniques.
- Previous experience in ensuring a smooth transition to manufacturing.
- Previous experience with energy-based delivery systems is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in managing internal and external development resources to achieve product development goals.
Skills, Abilities, and Other Requirements
- Comprehensive knowledge of SolidWorks CAD including drafting standards and GD&T.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new software (e.g. COMSOL, PICO DAQ, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge and skill in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Excellent oral written communication skills and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work conscientiously and with minimal direction, using good judgment, taking initiative to accomplish short and long-range projects, and recommend actions with minimal direction.
- Ability to work as a team member, multi-task and be very flexible to adapt to the ever-changing work priorities and requirements of a dynamic, fast growing company.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time. Overnight and/or international travel may be required.
- Ability to lift 10-15 pounds
Our corporate headquarters is located in Hayward, California. To learn more about us, visit our website at www.pulsebiosciences.com.
At Pulse Biosciences, we are committed to providing a respectful work environment to our diverse workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, age, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Principals only; unsolicited candidate submissions from recruiters or third-party agencies will be considered free referrals.