Sr. Research Scientist I/II, Analytical Chemistry
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Analytical chemist responsible for commercial and pipeline small molecule development within Science and Technology, Pharmaceutical Product Group.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead analytical development, especially in LC-MS and GC-MS area, to support drug substance and drug product development and manufacturing, including compound structural elucidation, impurity separation, isolation and structural identification, and control strategy development.
- Participate in analytical team activities. Mentor other team members for technical capability development. Provide project proposals and reviews, resource estimation and tracking, and periodical updates to management.
- Independently design experiments, review data and complete results interpretation and reporting. Prepare and review regulatory submission documents.
- Leading the analytical aspects of a project while collaborating with other CMC development functions and other areas in AbbVie to advance drug development.
- Responsible for method development, testing procedures, and implementation of analytical controls to support late stage analytical development.
- Applying analytical separation and detection modes, such as LC-MS and GC-MS for complex impurity identification/quantitation.
- Support commercial manufacturing by participating as an analytical expert in investigations, trouble shoot analytical method issues, and improve method execution.
- Implement a wide range of current analytical techniques to conduct research and development studies related to drug product development.
- Introduce technologies to analytical chemistry labs, such as new separation technology, new techniques in mass spectrometry, data science, and data trending.
- Perform routine and non-routine testing of development, release, and stability samples.
- BS or equivalent education and extensive, typically 12+ years of experience; MS or equivalent education with typical 10+ years of experience; PhD with typical 4+ years of experience in Chemistry or related fields with previous work experience (6+ years) in a pharmaceutical development laboratory setting.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- Strong background in mass spectrometry and applications in pharmaceutical development is required.
- Strong competency in mass spectrometry data interpretation and structural characterization using MS and tandem MS techniques.
- Experience in developing quantitative analytical methods using mass spectrometry.
- Proficiency with state-of-the-art high-resolution LC-MS and GC-MS instrumentation (e.g., Q-Tof and Orbitrap).
- Proficiency with analytical techniques, e.g., HPLC, GC, spectroscopic techniques, and physicochemical characterization techniques.
- Candidate must possess a solid fundamental training in separation theory.
- Candidate must possess outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Familiar with ICH and FDA guidance documents in analytical, DS and DP development and manufacturing.
- This position requires an individual who is self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced team environment with demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Proven track record in leading analytical projects within a CMC development team setting.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Job level will be commensurate with experience
Significant Work Activities
Job Grades are determined by the country in which the payroll is based
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.