CymaBay Therapeutics, Inc. is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company based in Newark, California, focused on developing therapies for liver and other chronic diseases with high unmet medical need. We are looking for new team members to join our expanding organization.
This position reports to the Vice President, Finance and will lead a team of finance professionals in scaling our Finance operations to support CymaBay’s growth from a publicly traded late-stage biopharmaceutical company into a commercial-ready organization. The Corporate Controller will be accountable for building a robust financial operation capable of supporting an organization that will begin establishing the infrastructure, processes, and capabilities necessary to support the company’s anticipated first commercial product launch. Key areas of focus include but are not limited to: collaborating cross-functionally to implement new business systems & processes, developing gross to net revenue recognition capabilities, enabling inventory management & accounting, optimizing the close process, strengthening and maintaining internal controls in a SOX-compliant manner, and managing key relationships with external accounting and audit service providers.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and experienced hands-on leader who is focused and also nimble, balancing strategic goals with day-to-day operations. You are motivated by a dynamic, fast-paced environment and by working in partnership with other community-minded team members. You will leverage your experience in audit and public company controllership together with your critical thinking skills, relationship building, and excellent communication skills to build a strong finance organization capable of supporting a growing company that is transforming from a late-stage development company into a commercial-ready organization capable of delivering on its promise of bringing new therapies to patients with liver and other metabolic diseases.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required, advanced degree preferred
- CPA with Big 4 audit experience; knowledgeable of PCAOB standards and current accounting pronouncements
- Minimum 15+ years of relevant finance and accounting experience in the biotech industry
- Experience leading a biotech company on the path to product commercialization is highly preferred. Experience in companies transitioning from clinical development and establishing manufacturing experience a plus.
- Solid foundation in SEC rules and regulations and SOX compliance
- A track record of being hands-on and nimble, implementing process improvements and other initiatives for a company going through various growth phases
- Proven ability to develop and foster strong relationships up, down and across the company; also manage and enhance relationships with external service providers as the face of Finance
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), e.g. in articulating sometimes complex financial issues, synthesizing diverse concepts, and relaying relevant issues from a business perspective
- Technically savvy with systems and ability to build processes and utilize technology to enhance productivity, reduce errors, and mitigate risks