Sr Software Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sr. Software Engineer
Allergan Data Labs is on a mission to transform the Allergan Aesthetics business at AbbVie, the fourth largest pharmaceutical company in the world. Allergan Aesthetics brands are iconic household names that include Botox, CoolSculpting and Juvéderm among others. The aesthetics business is ripe for disruption and we're building a high performing team to do just that.
Our Product Engineering team has been tasked with building a technology platform to service the needs of medical aesthetic professionals and patients. We're poised to release our platform, Allē, this year to an audience of nearly 25,000 providers and 6 million consumers. We’re looking for a Sr. Software Engineer who is interested in working within a startup oriented environment while having the backing of a large company. If that’s you, please read on.
- Champion code quality, reusability, scalability and security
- Drive strategic software architecture decisions
- Collaborate with product, UI/UX, engineering and outside vendors to develop high functioning software
- Develop a deep understanding of the jobs-to-be-done by our customers and translate that knowledge into intuitive product features
- Mentor software engineers utilizing proven design patterns and your experience building large scale public facing software
- Conduct design and code reviews
- Take small seedling ideas or concepts and turn them into high fidelity technical game plans
- Care about who you work with and how work is done. We hire carefully and the entire team is given the opportunity to take part in evaluating potential hires
- Relate to our core values (see below) and would like to contribute to a positive working environment and culture
Required Experience & Technical Skills:
- At least 5 years as a Software Engineer
- Knowledgeable and passionate about TypeScript, Node.js, GraphQL and associated frameworks and packages
- Experience with modern front-end technologies like React.js, Gatsby.js and similar
- Adept at drafting, validating and implementing software systems architecture
- Understanding of modern development and deployment technologies and can speak thoroughly to their pros and cons
- Strong familiarity with data structures, algorithms and common design patterns
- Proficient with SQL and NoSQL flavors like PostgreSQL, MySQL and DynamoDB
- Proponent of code testing and familiar with the common frameworks for unit, integration and functional tests
- Comfortable working within a Linux/Unix environment
- Proficient with Git version control
- Preference for modern, thoughtful and beautiful UI/UX, as well as tools like Figma, Sketch and InVision
- Well versed in the serverless application framework, AWS Lambda and microservice architectures
- You've built GraphQL API's and are familiar with the Apollo Platform
- DevOps skills including AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, CI/CD, etc.
- Experience building iOS and Android applications using React Native
- Be Humble: You’re smart yet always interested in learning from others.
- Work Transparently: You always deal in an honest, direct and transparent way.
- Take Ownership: You embrace responsibility and find joy in having the answers.
- Learn More: Through blog posts, newsletters, podcasts, video tutorials and meetups you regularly self educate and improve your skill set.
- Show Gratitude: You show appreciation and return kindness to those you work with.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401k with up to 8% company match
- Vacation / PTO
- Entire week off for the holidays
- Brand new MacBook Pro and accompanying equipment to do great work
- Attend a tech conference of your choice each year
- On-campus restaurant
- On-campus gym, tennis court, basketball court and softball field
- Discounts on Allergan products
The Allergan Data Labs team is led and comprised of technology and marketing experts with experience ranging from successful tech startups to large medical corporations. We welcome the interest and opportunity to speak with those from all backgrounds.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.