Senior Software Engineer, Analysis Platform
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.WHAT WE DO
At Recursion we combine experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. We are transforming drug discovery into a data science problem, and to do that we are building a platform for rapid biological experimentation, data generation, and automated analysis, model training, and prediction.THE IMPACT YOU’LL MAKE
- Create a world-class research platform. You'll work with Data Scientists to create a platform that allows them to quickly iterate on novel analyses and research leveraging petabytes of data.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You'll work with Data Scientists to build relatability and queryability into these datasets so they can be used in five years to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools, dashboards, and metrics to help lab operations keep track of the quality and timeliness of the data they generate, grant early insight into the quality of proposed experiments, and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth within and beyond the team.
The Analysis Platform team currently comprises three data engineers, working closely with several data scientists. We're building a platform that will allow data scientists to run arbitrary analysis code at scale. We work on the sorts of interesting technical problems that come with the territory of distributed computing, but we also get to work with the additional complexity of tying that in with physical operations in the laboratory.WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Experience programming in projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience being resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- Solid computer science fundamentals, e.g. data structures
- We work closely with scientists. Biology background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Recursion does this by combining automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, in vivo validation capabilities and a highly cross-functional team to discover novel medicines that expand our collective understanding of biology. Recursion’s rich, relatable database of over 4 petabytes of biological images generated in-house on the company’s robotics platform enables advanced machine learning approaches to reveal drug candidates, mechanisms of action, novel chemistry, and potential toxicity, with the eventual goal of decoding biology and advancing new therapeutics that radically improve people’s lives. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.