Machine Learning Scientist, Chemistry
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
You'll work with others in chemistry, biology, data science and engineering to design and train neural networks that lift our drug discovery and development platform to new levels of precision and power.
- You'll design multi-task, multi-modal neural networks and train them on our in-house biological and chemical datasets to optimize chemical structures for potency and drug-like properties.
- You’ll work with cross functional discovery teams to generate small molecule leads for disease programs using models conditioned on high-dimensional phenotypic readouts.
- You'll develop methods to predict the outcomes of biological assays (in vitro, in vivo).
- You’ll contribute to the ongoing development of our internal drug discovery code base.
- You'll present publishable work at top machine learning and computational chemistry conferences.
The Team You’ll Join
As a member of the Machine Learning team, you’ll report to the Head of Machine Learning and join other scientists at Recursion in applying state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to drug discovery problems. You’ll collaborate on cross-functional teams and participate in multi-disciplinary working groups as you positively impact Recursion’s ability to improve human lives.
The Experience You’ll Need
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in computational chemistry, with extensive experience applying modern machine learning methods. PhD in Computer Science or related field is a plus. Drug discovery experience (medicinal/synthetic chemistry) is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to design and complete applied deep learning projects.
- Experience using modern technologies to accelerate machine learning. We use Python, PyTorch, and PyData libraries. We have our own on-prem GPU cluster and distributed file system, as well as access to ample cloud resources.
- Outstanding past projects, publications, or presentations.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse teams of varying scientific backgrounds.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
With full commitment from us, this role is open to remote candidates and can be based anywhere (with required periodic travel to our headquarters in Salt Lake City once it is safe to do so). While we’d love to have you based in Salt Lake City with the rest of us (did you know that the nearest chairlift to our office is only 34 minutes away?), we will support you doing the most impactful work of your life from a location that makes sense for you.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. These benefits are specific for HQ-based employees.
More About Us
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Recursion does this by combining automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, in vivo validation capabilities and a highly cross-functional team to discover novel medicines that expand our collective understanding of biology. Recursion’s rich, relatable database of over 4 petabytes of biological images generated in-house on the company’s robotics platform enables advanced machine learning approaches to reveal drug candidates, mechanisms of action, novel chemistry, and potential toxicity, with the eventual goal of decoding biology and advancing new therapeutics that radically improve people’s lives. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.