Director, Legal Operations
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
As the Director of Legal Operations, you will report directly to the General Counsel and be leading various initiatives to drive and support legal department operational excellence. The role will create and maintain the legal department’s best practices, policies, strategic plans and technology objectives.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Define and guide efficient and effective legal operations and help establish best practices in compliance, regulatory, privacy and cybersecurity matters
- In partnership with IT, manage department technology initiatives including e-billing, knowledge management (KM), contracts (CLM) and intellectual property (docket) management systems, and create and track department operations including reporting, dashboarding, budgeting, and financial management practices
- Improve and coordinate cross-functional alignment by building relationships with key administrative functions, BD, HR, IT & Finance, and organize and facilitate projects
- You will be joining the legal department at Recursion, which is currently a team of three attorneys and a stock administrator. As part of this small team you will have a big impact on the success and future direction of the legal and compliance functions.
- You will be strategic planning for long-term changes in how business is conducted across the company. You will collaborate with your teammates and across departments to agree on what the most important challenges and needs are, and then help figure out how to address them.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Experience understanding strategic organizational issues and supporting leaders in navigating and leading change.
- Able to influence beyond your own team and function; flexible and pragmatic with solid business acumen, strong operational talent and a passion for continuous growth and improvement
- A Bachelor’s Degree with a 10+ years legal team management experience in legal operations, including contracts administration and intellectual property management
- Direct knowledge of technology system selection, implementation, training and maintenance; ability to translate business requirements to automated system tasks and workflows
- Conducted routine and ad hoc software system trainings
- Experience interacting directly with C-suite executives, communicating with clarity
- Experience in global external resource management
- Experience working in both biopharmaceutical and high tech industries
- Ability to customize front-end user interface and coordinate back-end system architecture for CLM and/or docket management systems
- Project Management Certificate a plus
Location: Milpitas, CA or Salt Lake City, UT
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion’s mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives. Unraveling the exceptional complexity of biological systems and delivering the next generation of biotherapeutics at unprecedented speed and scale can only be achieved by bridging life science and technology. Recursion is the leader in digital biology, and has built the world’s most advanced ultra-high throughput wet-lab and machine learning platform. Recursion’s ability to generate proprietary, high-dimensional, multi-modal and relatable datasets of human cellular biology at massive scale, and apply advanced machine learning approaches to reveal novel biological relationships, has resulted in a proven, target-agnostic drug-discovery engine.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.