Associate Director, Reimbursement and Health Policy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job Summary: The Associate Director, Reimbursement and Health Policy will cover an area in the northeast region within the US and work in conjunction with sales and cross-functional teams.
- Collaboratively work with internal business partners, sales colleagues including Area Directors, Regional Managers, and Territory Managers to educate on the reimbursement value of the Plastic
and Regenerative Medicine (PRM) product portfolio in the assigned geographic area.
- Facilitate meetings with surgeons and hospital/facility medical professionals (purchasing, OR staff, C-suite, revenue, billing/coding, etc.) to convey the reimbursement value message and conduct reimbursement assessments to address questions and/or overcome challenges in accounts with goal of product adoption, maintenance, growth or to address competitive threat.
- Develop customer collateral, sales aides and PowerPoint presentations that demonstrate the reimbursement value proposition of the PRM product portfolio with external customers [surgeon, and staff, facility purchasing personnel, and those involved in billing and coding]. Work with marketing communications, legal, compliance and regulatory to gain approval.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare industry trends, reimbursement and legislative changes, payor policy trends, coding for all sites of care, coverage and payment related to physician practices and hospital systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare economics by utilizing tools and resources to leverage claims data with internal and external customers to educate and influence.
- Collaborate with colleagues to create internal educational materials including new hire sales training, FAQs, objection handlers, SOPs, etc. Conduct new hire reimbursement training. Attend sales and regional meetings to present and roll out reimbursement strategies and tools.
- Call on managed care organizations, Medicare MACs, state Medicaid, and Advantage plans to increase coverage of PRM product portfolio by driving medical policy coverage initiatives within assigned geography. Develop and implement strategies that lead to successful insurance acceptance of PRM products into payor medical policy guidelines.
Skills and Experiences:
- Minimum of 5 years successful work experience in related fields: medical device, insurance, healthcare, reimbursement, health economic outcomes, financial modelling, coding and medical device billing
- Able to work independently with little direction and demonstrated self-initiation, capacity to research and stay current on healthcare industry trends.
- Possess a solid understanding of the medical device industry, able demonstrate business acumen: products, companies and technology.
- Ability to manage complex negotiations with multiple decision makers.
- Outstanding problem solving, project and program management skills.
- Ability to articulate, and present complex information in a distilled, concise, persuasive manner to a variety of audience levels.
- Ability to develop a value proposition and effective business case that will influence customer and medical policy decision-makers.
- Act as an integral part of the sales process in support of the field sales force by succinctly and impactful delivering the value of the reimbursement message; requiring strategic, proactive probing and solutions with goal of supporting revenue projections to create, secure, and grow the market.
- Proven project and time management, prioritization and organization skills.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation skills. Able to present ideas to customers in a way that produces understanding and impact.
- Strong analytic and strategic thinking skills. Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding influencing, interpersonal and networking skills to drive successful relationship building. Strong collaboration skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, and cross-functionally across teams and divisions.
- Existing relationships with individuals at third-party insurance companies and group payer organizations a plus.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to speak confidently to small and large groups at all levels of an organization required.
- Must be willing to travel at least 40-50% within designated region with some weekend travel required. Includes some travel outside of region as needed for national meetings/conferences, product education and sales training meetings, trade shows/conventions, and reimbursement industry meetings.
- Experience with tissue matrix/skin substitute or capital equipment products.
- Experience with hospital inpatient, HOPD, ASC, and physician billing required.
- Technical Knowledge: Must possess advanced computer skills in MS Word, Power Point, and Excel
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Health Care Administration, Public Health, Finance, Business or related field
- Previous experience working with Field Sales, Marketing, Medical Education, Corporate Contracting, Legal, Compliance and Regulatory, Strategic Marketing, Medical Affairs, Marketing Communications, and Customer Support teams.
- Knowledge of US government and third-party payor and reimbursement systems, and legal, compliance and regulatory guidelines related to reimbursement activities within the healthcare industry.
- Track record of developing and delivering product value and reimbursement presentations to varied customer audiences.
- Must reside in or around geographic area as applicable.
- Ability to travel 40-50% percent of the time. Incumbent will maintain and work with a variety of internal/external customers including  health care professionals;  purchasing customers -hospitals/ASCs;  Regional and Territory Managers [RMs/TMs] and other sales team members;  various cross-functional business partners including marketing, MARCOM, Medical Affairs, Corporate Healthcare, Compliance, Regulatory, Legal, etc., and  attend trade shows, product education and training meetings, conferences, conventions, and reimbursement related educational meetings.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.