Research Associate – Immune Cell Biology
Thymmune Therapeutics is a privately held, preclinical biotechnology company based in Cambridge, MA applying proprietary insights in thymic engineering to develop and commercialize immune cell therapy products addressing significant opportunities with unmet clinical need across immunology. Building on work from leading labs, Thymmune has strong IP positioning and is backed by early investors and founders of multiple leading biotechnology companies.
Thymmune is an innovation, value-driven, and Seed-financed organization that is seeking to hire a Research Associate to join our team. The position requires broad technical experience in immune cell biology with knowledge of stem cell biology preferred, and a strong emphasis on an industrial mindset underpinned by critical thinking, multitasking, and the ability to rapidly learn new techniques. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing a milestone-based scientific plan spanning experimentation, data analysis, presentation, and participation in strategic planning in industrializing and standardizing process development for our lead cell therapy candidate.
Working independently, under the general supervision of the senior personnel, to perform highly specialized experimental procedures involving in vitro and in vivo protocols, advanced molecular genetics, and cellular biology techniques. Participate in the design and modification of research protocols. Compose and may present sections of research reports and manuscripts. Perform advanced data analysis using advanced statistical techniques.
You will coordinate laboratory activities and undertake quality assurance programs. Our research focus is on tissue and organ generation. We will identify markers and sort cells and evaluate the safety and efficacy of cell profiles for immunotherapy. We will analyze samples generated from human induced pluripotent stem cells and use clinically relevant animal models and organoid systems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently conduct molecular biology procedures, such as FACS, biomarker screening, conventional PCR real time PCR, western blotting, immunoblotting of cells and DNA extraction assays.
- Maintain tissue culture and molecular biology supplies and reagents, and help order new supplies and minor equipment.
- Maintain tissue cultures and cell lines in a variety of experimental conditions. Monitor cell cultures for viability and contamination. Perform cell viability assays using various chemotherapy compounds and molecularly targeted therapies.
- Perform lentiviral and retroviral infection, plasmid transfection.
- Independently perform highly specialized experimental procedures.
- Perform in vivo work using animal models and tissue collection at necropsy, tissue imaging, and other specialized techniques.
- Perform immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence staining.
- Contribute to the set-up and optimization of murine and 3D organoid systems.
- Discuss progress of work regularly with other personnel.
- Coordinate laboratory compliance and procedures in the areas of safety, environmental, and infection control.
- Supervise the orientation and training of new laboratory staff and interns.
- Perform duties and responsibilities as directed, including both research and administrative duties.
- Participate in the design and modification/troubleshooting of research protocols.
- Develop research methodologies within the parameters of experimental protocols and research objectives, and assist in writing research reports and manuscripts.
- Calculate and analyze data using statistical techniques and participate in the writing of reports and funding applications.
Bachelor/Masters (non-PhD) of Science. At least 3-5 years of experience with FACS, RT-PCR. Knowledge of immunology in animal models, tissue culture techniques, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence staining.
- Experience with FACS, RT-PCR. Knowledge of tissue culture techniques, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence. Able to work 2 weekends per month to assist other investigators with cell culture.
- High degree of computer literacy, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities.
- Highly motivated and able to perform experiments independently
- Ability to identify potential problems and troubleshoot solutions.
- Ability to analyze data statistically and present it.
- Must have a broad knowledge of scientific principles, biological structures, and laboratory techniques.
- Must have sound interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise others.
- Must have 3 or more years of laboratory experience
Apply with CV and cover letter with 3 references available upon request.