Associate Director, US Medical Excellence and Training - Field Based
At Eisai, satisfying unmet medical needs and increasing the benefits healthcare provides to patients, their families, and caregivers is Eisai’s human health care (hhc) mission. We’re a growing pharmaceutical company that is breaking through in neurology and oncology, with a strong emphasis on research and development. Our history includes the development of many innovative medicines, notably the discovery of the world's most widely-used treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. As we continue to expand, we are seeking highly-motivated individuals who want to work in a fast-paced environment and make a difference. If this is your profile, we want to hear from you.
The Oncology US Medical Excellence & Training role will develop and maintain all US Field Medical training curricula both in terms of technical as well as soft skills. The candidate will work closely with US Field Medical Leadership Team and Global Field Medical Excellence (GFME) to ensure alignment of curricula, standards and business objectives.
This position conducts innovative and customized training and certification sessions to prepare US Field Medical personnel to enter into strategic and compliant discussions regarding medical/clinical, health economics and outcomes research data on Eisai products.
This position assumes a leadership role by assisting with various innovative projects and by teaching, coaching and mentoring less experienced MSLs in order to assist with their onboarding and continued development.
The impact this role will have on the organization includes the following: a) will communicate key information about Eisai and its hhc mission, as well as demonstrate a pattern of good judgment; b) effectively communicate relevant & fair balanced scientific and clinical information about Eisai’s products; seek feedback from MSLs, MSL and Medical Affairs Leadership to ensure needs are being met; leverage a variety of communication channels to provide training; c) in collaboration with reputable institutions and providers ensure the development of competences aligned with Eisai standards as it relates to soft skills, business skills, and emotional intelligence d) e) increase the proficiency of Field-based Medical Affairs colleagues regarding Eisai’s marketed products (data) / disease states, pipeline, as well as, competitor data ultimately fostering scientific exchange with KOLs.
1. New hire Field Medical onboarding, 90-day training plan/schedule, and their scientific training and certification.
2. Continuing and advanced education (disease states and data), including treatment landscape training and certification.
3. Soft Skills Training to increase and maintain field excellence.
4. Maintain training record for US Field Medical employees.
3. Work closely with US MSL LT and GFME to identify training needs, plan for the most appropriate educational programs and manage project budget by forecasting and prioritizing projects.
4. Develop and monitor metrics and KPIs to assess effectiveness of educational activities. Provide management with regular updates on these metrics also highlighting actionable trends and patterns
5. Work closely with Global Medical Excellence colleagues to maintain updated PMRC/CRC approved materials required for MSL scientific exchange and answering unsolicited questions.
6. Coordinate and maintain a schedule/record of MSL participation in Sales/Commercial training at district, regional and national sales meetings. Step in to conduct this training, as needed
7. Work closely with US MSL congress leads and GFME to determine strategic importance of medical data presented at congresses / medical meetings to create debriefs and executive summaries for US distribution & training.
8. Collaborate with GFME colleagues for business with Eisai approved vendors to evaluate the fair market value of all SOW’s related to projects for approval by the Executive Director, Field Medical and VP.
- Advanced terminal D degree in medical or health sciences (e.g M.D., PhD, PharmD, DPH, EdD).
- Minimum 5 years of oncology disease management knowledge in the therapeutic areas of interest to Eisai.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in training or in lieu of formal training, Eisai Oncology MSL experience, medical excellence or experience in a related function.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a Field Based Medical Affairs role.
- Strong broad based scientific and pharmaceutical knowledge, as well as, excellent presentation and teaching skills.
- Strong overall written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to train professionals on soft skills, strategic thinking, and business acumen
- Must have thorough knowledge and experience within Eisai desired therapeutic area(s); comfortable and confident speaking about multiple drug indications/disease state management and competitor products and data.
- Thorough understanding of the pharmaceutical corporate environment
- Understanding and ability to effectively communicate the role and value provided by Medical & Scientific Affairs.
- Ability to motivate and teach team members without a direct reporting relationship.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, analyze situations and achieve goals.
- Excellent computer skills including power point, word & excel.
- Ability to travel as needed to conferences and internal meetings, up to 30% of the time
Eisai is an equal opportunity employer and as such, is committed in policy and in practice to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. Similarly, considering the need for reasonable accommodations, Eisai prohibits discrimination against persons because of disability, including disabled veterans.
Eisai Inc. participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of all new hires in the United States. Please click on the following link for more information: