At Avidity Biosciences, we have combined the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) with the precision of oligonucleotides to deliver targeted therapies to previously undruggable tissue and cell types. Because our drug is nucleic acid based, we can treat the disease at the source by targeting the underlying genetic drivers. Every member of our organization shares a single goal: develop and bring to clinic new therapeutic technologies to treat the most debilitating, currently untreatable, diseases. We achieve this by collaborating across departments and continuously working to create and maintain a safe and supportive workspace. We recognize the impact of every employee in bringing these potentially transformative therapies to patients in need, and as such, we strive to find new team members who are eager to learn, who share our ideals and passion to help people, and who can bring new insight to our work. Come make a difference with us.
From the Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) Team at Avidity Biosciences
We are a collaborative, supportive team looking for a Research Associate to help us meet our goal of bringing our lead Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 (DM1) therapy quickly and safely to patients in need. We are developing new assays to identify and measure biomarkers (likely changes in gene expression) that will help us assess how effective our therapy is at disrupting the underlying molecular mechanism of the disease. We are looking for a careful and skilled experimentalist who is eager to learn new assays quickly. Our ideal candidate will be excited about creative assay development as well as testing those ideas in the lab. This will require hands-on lab work, including processing and analyzing animal blood and tissues.
A note on COVID-19: We are constantly working to balance our desire to treat patients with unmet needs and our commitment to keep our employees safe. We have implemented strict protocols to that end. As such, this position will have a combination of in-person lab time and remote work.
- Bachelors or masters degree in bioengineering, biology, biochemistry, or related discipline.
- At least one year of prior hands-on lab experience in an academic (outside of the classroom) or industry setting.
- Proficiency with molecular biology assays such as qRT-PCR, DNA or RNA isolation, Nanostring, RNAseq, exosome purification.
- Note: None of these assays are specifically required. We are looking for someone who can pipette well and is proficient in molecular biology so they can learn our assays quickly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the design, assessment, and optimization of assays to assess treatment efficacy in patients, with an emphasis on understanding changes in gene expression.
- Design and perform experiments and analyze experimental data to develop those assays.
- Report progress and data in group meetings and provide feedback and ideas on your teammates’ work.
- Contribute to written study reports.