Scientist - Flow Cytometry Group – Novartis / Navigate - Carlsbad, CA
1 in 5 men and 1 in 6 women worldwide develop cancer during their lifetime, and far too many will lose their battle every year. At Navigate BioPharma we envision a disease free world – our talented and passionate team is at the forefront of enabling drug development by using transformative science to deliver high quality, world class clinical biomarker solutions so we can one day realize that vision.
Join us on our journey to turning innovative treatment ideas into reality to improve and extend patient lives across the globe. Navigate BioPharma, a subsidiary of Novartis, provides assay development, clinical trial testing, and companion diagnostic services to companies in the precision medicine field. At present, Navigate supports 100+ clinical trials from 30+ pharma, biotech, and diagnostic companies, including 8 of the top 15 oncology companies globally.
As a Scientist at Navigate, you will design, create, execute, and troubleshoot Flow cytometry based procedures and assays. You will be expected to exhibit moderate to high level of independence while working on multiple projects including contributing to the launch of new platforms/assays. Candidates must demonstrate critical thinking, initiative and effective stakeholder management in the execution of their projects.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work in a GMP/GCP/GLP/CLIA regulated environment and is responsible for following all applicable regulations
• Plan and execute multi-parameter flow cytometry based biomarker development, validation and testing of patient specimens
• Analysis and QC of patient flow cytometry data using FloJo or FCS Express software
• Data report and transfers using LIMS
• Perform calibrations and maintenance of flow cytometers
• Author and review technical documents including but not limited to assay work instructions, reports and presentations
• Collaborates cross functionally with colleagues on various projects as needed
• Using critical thinking skills, analyze data for trends making recommendations to more senior scientific staff
What you’ll bring to the role:
• PhD with minimum 0-2 years experience or MS with minimum of 4 years directly relevant experience or BS/BA with scientific emphasis with minimum of 8, preferably 10 years of directly relevant experience
• Demonstrated understanding of, and ability to apply principles, concepts, practices and standards associated with analytical assay development/validation and/or sample testing in a clinical laboratory setting
• Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to learn new skills and core competences in flow cytometry
• Good time management and prioritization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Critical thinker and team player
• Demonstrated experience and understanding of cell characterization assays directly applicable to the research services provided by Navigate (tissue culture, cellular biological techniques such as flow cytometry, cell isolation procedures, IHC, etc.) is strongly preferred
• Deep hands on knowledge in phenotyping of normal and abnormal immune cell subsets, including stem cells, is strongly preferred
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.