Stromal Biology Scientist/Senior Scientist
Join our research team to make a difference in the treatment of patients with cancer. Arcus Biosciences is an exciting young company founded on the vision of creating new cancer therapeutics through the utilization of unexploited insights in immunology and cancer and stromal biology. The company was formed in 2015 by a group of seasoned researchers from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. We are located in the San Francisco Bay area, in the heart of the world’s largest biotechnology research hub. Arcus Biosciences offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including aggressive participation in the growth of the company in the form of stock option grants. Arcus is an ambitious undertaking, and we fully expect our company to become a force in the discovery, development and commercialization of novel transformational therapies for the treatment of cancer.
Scientists at Arcus work in a highly embedded and highly collaborative model with colleagues across the organization. We seek a highly motivated Stromal Biologists to work closely with Immunologists and Cancer Biologists to develop new transformational therapies for cancer patients. Candidates will be expected to work effectively on highly technical interdisciplinary teams and be driven to pursue creative solutions to challenging problems. The successful applicant will be expected to provide stromal biology expertise for several tumor targets and lead drug discovery projects specifically targeting the tumor microenvironment. Position and title would be commensurate with years of relevant experience.
- A Ph.D. or Ph.D. plus postdoc in Stromal Biology, ideally in the field of tumor stromal biology and tumor microenvironment.
- Strong understanding of oncology concepts at the intersection of stromal, cancer, and immune-oncology is desired.
- Expertise developing and working with in vitro and in vivo models relevant to validate targets and study drug candidates’ effects in the tumor microenvironment
- Candidates with demonstrated ability to advance scientific projects or derive novel scientific insights are of high interest.
- Experience in target identification and validation is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are required along with a solutions-based approach, flexibility, the ability to focus and deliver on time-sensitive objectives.
- Comfortable working in a matrix environment and handling several concurrent fast paced projects.
- The ideal candidate will have practical experience developing and using relevant in vitro and in vivo models, isolation and culture of primary cells (mouse and human), flow cytometry, and common molecular biology techniques.
- Knowledge of cancer associated fibroblast biology and stromal contributions to tumor progression and drug resistance
- Expertise in 3D culture techniques to study key interactions between cancer, immune, and stromal cells is strongly preferred.
- Experience in conducting research in a high-quality industry environment is desired.