Software Engineer IV
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The individual works within cross-functional teams and provides software requirements, design and implementation for current and next generation software and systems projects. He or she develops a thorough understanding of design requirements to ensure that the system’s objectives are properly defined and ultimately achieved.
This role is focused on embedded, desktop and/or embedded Windows development. This individual must have strong technical skills complemented by great communications and teamwork qualities. Experience in a software development background in a structured/regulated environment such as medical device development is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned.):
- Design, develop, and support embedded, Windows embedded and desktop applications.
- Contribute to requirements definition at the functional level.
- Participate in software work product reviews/inspections.
- Interface, integrate, troubleshoot and debug software and hardware components.
- Generate required product development documentation including Functional Specifications and design documents.
- Execute manual or automated tests for verification and validation of software applications.
- Design, code and validate software tools for use in the manufacturing of the product.
- Work with Software Test, Support and Manufacturing to resolve software issues.
- Drive improvements to product and process quality.
- MS (or BS and equivalent experience) in Software Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of software design and development experience and at least 3 years of experience with embedded Windows programming with C# and . NET.
- Experience in medical devices or similarly controlled software environment preferred.
- Experience in developing event driven, multi-threaded Windows-based applications using .NET Framework and C# preferred.
- Must have experience in structured software and systems development and integration, including experience in software design methodologies, design patterns, component-oriented software architecture to produce high-quality software applications.
- Knowledge of software life cycle processes used in regulated development environments.
- Result-oriented, self-motivated and able to participate as both a team member and an individual contributor.
- Willing to learn new technologies and wear multiple hats.
- Experience in Windows Wix Toolset /Microsoft msi package building and deployment is a plus
- Prior working experience with Azure or AWS is a plus.
- Knowledge of wired and wireless communication interfaces for embedded systems – modem, WiFi, LAN, USB, Serial, i2C, SPI preferred
- Responsible for performing all duties in compliance with FDA’s Quality System Regulation (QSR), ISO13485, the Canadian Medical Device Regulations, and all other international regulatory requirements with which ZELTIQ complies.
Language and Verbal Skills:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering specifications, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, specifications, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers. Ability to clearly and concisely convey project accomplishments, obstacles, issues, and project status.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in complicated, advanced engineering or mathematical formats.
Analytical and Reading Skills:
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to analyze a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and interpret various abstract and concrete variables. Ability to read technical and clinical literature and documents and extract important concepts.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; up to 8 hours per day. The employee is regularly required to lift and carry up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry up to 25 pounds. Duties also involve daily keyboard data entry. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Most work is performed in an office-like setting. The noise level in the environment is usually low to moderate
Requires regular presence in a (clinical or engineering or animal) laboratory setting where protective equipment or other health and safety measures and training are required to protect against chemical, biological or other hazards.. Noise levels may be moderate to high.
ZELTIQ is committed to the health and safety of our employees. We expect that all employees will perform their responsibilities while maintaining a safe, cooperative, and productive work environment, thus ensuring the health and safety of themselves and others.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.