Associate Director, Process & Performance Learning
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Associate Director, Process and Performance Learning (PPL) is empowered to assist in the development and lead the execution of PPL’s strategy through collaboration and partnership with Process & Performance Excellence Liaisons, Learning Management Systems, Clinical Process Compliance, and other members of the team. As a strategic leader, you are accountable to ensure the organization drives impactful learning programs that fosters compliance and performance excellence in global clinical trial execution. Through your leadership, the team will establish and execute learning and evaluative strategies in support of robust curricula which includes quality documents and performance support material. You are expected to demonstrate leadership by proactively identifying, managing, and implementing ideas for improvement. This position is accountable for accurate, comprehensive, and applicable curricula for both internal and external (investigative site) stakeholders.
- Execute the continuous learning strategy in alignment with business goals, portfolio prioritization, and Development Leadership while adhering to global Regulatory requirements.
- Effectively translate strategy into operations while inspiring and empowering team members to achieve excellence.
- Direct or provide leadership to ensure processes, courses and curricula are aligned with the strategic objectives of the Development organization. Manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of Development’s global learning programs.
- Direct and inspire global team to ensure on-time, on-target and within-budget results through ongoing coaching, guidance, and feedback to ensure success, as well as have necessary and timely access to information and resources.
- Demonstrate extensive understanding of adult learning concepts and methodology to effectively identify and lead high performing global teams.
- Own and evaluate the process to assess new and revised documents to ensure accurate compliance assignments. Ensure periodic review of learning programs and content for accuracy and relevancy in alignment to compliance requirements. Responsible to understand AbbVie's Quality System, GCP, BPO framework and portfolio priorities and translate to staff as applicable.
- Own the curricula metrics and dashboards; identifies measures of impact, effectiveness and outcome for learning programs and illustrates the impact on the business. Proactively communicates these metrics.
- Lead or participate in global, cross-functional initiatives/teams in support of business priorities.
- Represent Process and Performance Learning during regulatory inspections, audits, and process improvement initiatives.
- Collaborate and ensure alignment with Process & Performance Excellence centers of excellence, Development stakeholders, and cross-functional partners to identify and implement synergies. Collaborate closely with AbbVie and industry curricula leaders to ensure alignment, determine future focus, and share best practices
- Bachelor’s degree (or ex-US equivalent) is required, typically in learning/development, adult education or scientific field. Experience in learning management, quality systems and organizational development is highly desirable.
- Must have 10+ years of experience in strategy and execution of curricula. Experience in Pharma or other highly regulated industries desired.
- At least 4-5 years of experience in line management of staff including acquisition of talent, performance management, growth and development, managing employee relations, coaching and mentoring of staff and teams preferred.
- Competent in the application of standard business procedures (SOPs, ICH, Global Regulations, Ethics and Compliance). Preferred experience with clinical execution, instructional design principles and adult learning tools.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to evaluate complex issues from multiple perspectives and drive smart decision making.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate persuasively and with clarity, flexibility, and adaptability to changing requirements.
- Demonstrated proactive and positive team player who is resourceful and creative.
- Exhibits strong planning and organizational skills and high level of flexibility in a dynamic environment with experience leading global projects/teams with competing deadlines.
- Demonstration of successful execution of compliance and training strategy in a fast-paced environment managing multiple priorities effectively using innovative and creative solution.
- This position will report into a Director level and will have direct reports and responsibility for matrix managing their assigned team.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.