Senior Medical Science Liaison/Medical Science Liaison, Rheumatology – DC, MD, Northern VA
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle. MSLs are the primary communicators of Abbvie science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals, and MSLs are viewed as peer scientific experts in a designated therapeutic area. They combine strong business acumen, market awareness, as well as clinical expertise, and serve as a conduit of information to a cross functional customer base internally within AbbVie. Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams will focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree.
- External expert (opinion leader) cultivation: Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with external experts in therapeutic areas of interest within assigned geography.
- Provides education relative to disease state and AbbVie products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers.
- Serves as a medical/scientific resource to healthcare providers through answering unsolicited medical questions, and addressing other clinically related medical information issues.
- Clinical trial support: Supports research initiatives across development at the request of R&D to include but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and study management.
- Project management: Works with internal Medical Affairs customers to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives.
- Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to activities in their geography.
- Prepares marketplace in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes creating awareness and relationships for AbbVie in the Medical community.
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners, as appropriate, to support activities
- Self-development: Develops and communicates a professional growth plan. Continually educates self on global market issues, trends, and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas.
- Takes responsibility for and actively manages professional development.
- Advanced degree required (i.e. Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD, PA or NP, BSN) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline. Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- Greater than or equal to 2 years as a Medical Science Liaison required.
- At least 3 years of clinical, scientific research or industry related experience or equivalent required.
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within relevant scientific discipline preferred.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and translate specific territory and corporate needs in order to support both internal and external customers and achieve business and clinical objectives.
- The Senior Medical Science Liaison must be able to identify, analyze, and translate specific territory and corporate needs in order to support both internal and external customers and achieve business and clinical objectives.
- An essential requirement of your position is to meet health care industry representative (HCIR) credentialing requirements to gain entry into facilities and organizations that are in your assigned territory. These HCIR credentialing requirements may include, but are not limited to, background checks, drug screens, and proof of immunization/vaccination for various diseases.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.